Has there been discussion of a lower non dvr tier?

Just live tv using the cable we pay for. Basically use channels and a firestick instead of renting a new box from the cable company

It already exists: there is a $25 paid app (one-time fee) for live TV using HDHomeRun tuners, including the Prime which is especially for cable TV subscribers.

Of course, this means you don't have the DVR-server supplied features, such as recording, remote access, and other internet-related features. But it is a one-time up front cost giving you access to the same app and interface.

Details about the non-DVR app:

The app on Amazon:

1 Like

He homerun, not tv anywhere

If you have an iOS device, the Channels for HDHomeRun iOS app is free ‎Channels for HDHomeRun! on the App Store

What kind of HDHomeRun unit do you have and what is your cable company? If you only have an HDHomeRun unit just use the HDHomerun APP (FREE) if all you want to do is watch TV. It has a grid guide.

2 Likes

No. As stated, sources requiring an internet connection are not supported by Channels without their DVR server.

For years I first used MythTV, and then Tvheadend, (both pieces of free software) before moving to Channels. I happily used my chosen DVR software for years with 3 HDHR Prime tuners. In fact, the only reason I switched my entire household to Channels was for their superior remote streaming implementation.

(I spent months relegated to hospital rooms, and one of the few things that kept me sane was Channels remote streaming because the hospital's TV was barely viewable.)

2 Likes

Don’t most cable providers offer their own app for live streaming subscribed content? For instance, I have an xfinity subscription but no physical cable box. Just their streaming app that can run on a platform of my choosing, and on as many screens as I like.

1 Like

Not all of them