Have started to find duplicate recordings of TV series on season pass

Just noticed tonight that for some recorded series on passes, I have started to get duplicate recordings. In the past, the DVR was very good about recording only programs I don’t have recorded.

It looks like the instances of the second recording have mostly happened the last week or so. The oldest one I saw was (I think) Feb 4.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

1 Like

What type of source? What show?

More details will help diagnose the issue.

Yes, I noticed this, too. Happened over the weekend. The first recording was from a Prime, on a SD channel, and Channels flagged the previous recording as “Interrupted”. The new recording was from TVE. This was the only recording that it happened to, even though there was a marathon going on.

I figured the re-record was because either the old recording had been flagged with an error, or because the new recording was a higher resolution. In either case, I was happy with the result, so I just let the recording go through, and deleted the older, lower resolution, previous recording.

It was TVE via Vidgo for both original and duplicate recordings. All that I have noticed so far were hallmark movie and mysteries channel. It re-recorded s1e3 and e4 of murder, she baked, s1e1 of aurora Teagarden mysteries, s1e1 and e2 of ruby herring mysteries, s1e1 of Emma fielding mysteries.

I also noticed it was scheduled to record duplicate episodes of similar shows from that channel. For example, in the queue is Gourmet Detective Mysteries s1e3 next Wednesday afternoon. However, airing immediately after that is s1e4, which is not automatically in the queue (and which also already exists in the library).

Can you click Support > Submit Diagnostics on your DVR

Same here. It was S01E03 of Aurora Teagarden that re-recorded; that's the only one that re-recorded.

ae8c47d3-8d5a-4a89-a775-565412330f65

a4eb1849-11b2-4fc0-b4fb-c6046a06ae8a

I noticed when looking through my scheduled recordings that this is set to happen again. I have a recording that Channels has marked as "Delayed", and the same episode is set to re-record this evening. (If it makes a difference, it is the same series that had a previous recording re-record.)

Personally, I hope this is new and expected behavior. Now I'll just wait and see if the new recording replaces the existing one, or if they both persist.

The logs last time showed a new episode was initially scheduled, then later replaced with a rerun.

The DVR scheduled based on the initial data seen, then failed to notice later that the updated episode info no longer matched the criteria for recording.

I’ve noticed this happening again, with pretty regular frequency. In scanning ahead on the guide, I have noticed that sometimes shows further out in the schedule will just have a generic placeholder for that particular series on the schedule, not indicating any particular episode. At that point, the episode is listed as being scheduled to record.

Then, later, that placeholder will be replaced by the specific episode information, but it appears to be too late to have the DVR recognize it is about to record duplicate at that point.

It’s not clear if this a problem with the provider of the data, the network providing the information, or what exactly.

Is there any way to address what is causing this to be a recurring issue?

I've made a change in the prerelease v2021.04.22.1948 to notice when the program changes and react accordingly.

Excellent. I’ll try it out. Thanks!

DUPLICATE episode recordings.

This episode just recorded from my pass. Not delayed or interrupted.

Expedition With Steve Backshall - S01E06 - Borneo -- Dark Shadow
SeriesID: 17127193
ProgramID: EP033647680005

It's scheduled to record the next airing

Expedition With Steve Backshall - S01E06 - Borneo -- Dark Shadow
SeriesID: 17127193
ProgramID: EP033647680010

Appears Gracenote has this episode listed under two tms ProgramID's

Looking at the Episode Guide on zap2it, each episode is listed twice.
https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview.html?programSeriesId=SH03364768&tmsId=SH033647680000&from=TVGrid&aid=gapzap