Have to reset HomePod as audio output every time Apple TV wakes up

I’m running channels on an Apple TV 4K using a HomePod as my sound bar. Every time I wake up my Apple TV I have to manually reset the HomePod as the audio source in order to get channels to output audio to the HomePod, even though when I turn on the Apple TV it’s still set to output to the HomePod. I don’t have to go through this step with other apps like Netflix, it seems to be limited to channels.

This is a known issue we are trying to resolve. It appears to be a bug in tvOS audio api we use in our custom video player. I have opened a bug report with Apple to see what they say (here’s a copy: https://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=5024558297907200 )

I have same issue, please keep working on this! Not great having to reset this every time we use channels

Try again. I woke up to version 3.2.8 and I didn’t have the issue. But I can’t be sure it wasn’t a fluke. But I suggest everyone try again with 3.2.8 and see if it is still happening.

Still have the problem here.

Any update on this? I know you mentioned there is a bug on Apple's end, but Channels is the only app I use that has this issue and its been causing a lot of frustration.

Same issue as described, Channels won't use HomePod as audio output after ATV sleeps, and that would be inconvenient but fine if the volume controls worked correctly still when Channels was using the TV speakers, but instead the volume controls the output of the HomePod speakers because the ATV thinks its outputting to them, so the TV speakers volume is not controllable from inside Channels while its incorrectly using them as audio output. Had an occurrence recently when TV was set to very loud and couldn't be reduced without quitting Channels and going back to the home screen, not a great experience for the guests.

It's been one major version and many minor versions since this issue was first reported to Apple, and I know you have tried an update to the audio driver to fix this, have any alternative workarounds been found that could be enabled in a beta version or with a configurable option until Apple fixes their bug? I love this app and hope this can be worked out soon, its been an issue for quite some time.

Any updates on this issue, really annoying how the homepod works with this app.

Commenting on the radar bug report linked in this thread might help Apple pay more attention to and fix this bug. Unfortunately it seems like there is nothing Channels can do to correct the issue, Apple has to fix it.

OpenRadar is not managed by Apple, its just an open way to share bugs you've reported on actual Radar to Apple, so commenting there probably isn't going to help. What hopefully will help, and I've done, is filing another radar to Apple directly with similar details, I believe they will close additional similar ones as duplicates but it helps them gauge the priority if many people are reporting the same bug. So if anyone has a developer account at Apple and can file additional bug reports to Apple's Radar system, that's probably the best bet we have of getting Apple's attention. That being said, I reported mine a while ago, so we haven't reached Apple quite yet it seems.

My question to the developers was more about the changes they were able to make in the audio driver update a bit ago that was in beta, and if there is a solution for us in that type of fix instead of waiting for Apple. It would be best for everyone if Apple fixed their bug, but it has been quite a while and is unfortunately an experience-ruining bug affecting Channels, so a solution on their end that works around waiting for Apple would be much appreciated.

Thanks for straightening me out on OpenRadar!

New Apple TV update maybe a fix? https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/10/apple-tvos-12-2-1/ I have not updated to test yet. When I get home I will run some tests.