Having problems with transcoding

down convert resolution to play on older TV or ATSC 3 to ATSC 1 when playing remotely. Larger buffer for playing remotely at hotels, etc...

This should be happening already. What are you seeing?

We transcode all content to H.264 when streaming remotely. Are you running into issues?

The size of the client buffer is primarily limited by the available disk space on the client. If that is not a limiting factor we will use up to 16GB for a local buffer on the client.

the first two are the same request basically. When attempting to play remotely KTTV Los Angeles 111.1 which is ATSC 3.0 I get audio but no video. However, it does play locally at home no problems.

The third was if at a hotel, It tends to buffer a lot when playing anything remotely. If increasing the buffer would help (I don't know) but maybe down converting would help?

Sounds like there’s something going on with your setup. This works fine for most folks.

This already happens assuming you haven’t selected Original Quality. If you’re still running into buffering you can lower the bitrate in the Playback settings by lowering the Streaming Quality.

I should mention that This is being run on a Fire TV Stick 4k. Doubt there is an issue with setup. This just started happening with the ATSC 3.0. I've been running a Fire TV Stick 4k for travel only.

This is running on the latest version of channels software and on a HDHR Flex 4k, Dedicated Server with 20TB of Storage.

The server is running an old AMD A10 Processor, with 16GB of RAM.

I will post config from the setup page if this helps. I'm currently out of town and can test as needed.

The next time this happens if you submit diagnostics we'll have a better idea of what's happening.

Please go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

1 Like

Ok, just sent the diags about 2 minutes ago. Attempted playback of a recorded show. "Next Level Chef", I got audio but no video.

Can you try going to the Advanced settings under Playback on your Fire TV and change the Video Driver to something other than Hardware and see if that improves things?

Also, are you able to record the ATSC1 broadcast? ATSC3 is still changing and people are running into various issues in different markets. If you're able to use the ATSC1 broadcast, it will likely have better results.

I will shortly. I have been able to record in ATSC1 as stated before. The same show has no problems. It is recordings in ATSC3. Like I was stating I wanted the ATSC3 recording to Down convert to ATSC1 or to 1080p(i).

I tried both Hybrid and Software settings, I do get picture now however extremely choppy. Audio is still good but video is not in sync. I did change the buffer to 10 minutes, yet not sure if this will work with a slow internet connection.

Again the streaming from ATSC1 is perfect. with some choppiness from time to time on slow connections. :pensive:

1 Like

Not possible, there is nothing that can be converted from ATSC 3 to ATSC 1. ATSC3 is just 1080p not 4k... ATSC3 is MUCH more bandwidth friendly than ATSC1. So its not likely a bandwith issue, its most likely a device issue. I originally tried firesticks and there is a reason that all 4 ended up in the trash can... ATSC3 is still a science experiment anyway but on the firestick it was a joke.

I travel with an Appletv and it handles anything I can throw at it. You might want to invest in a little better client. You might look at the ONN devices if appletv is out of your price range. I use 3 of them with the HDMI for channels project and they work pretty well. 1000% better than the firestick.

As I mentioned previously, we already transcode (convert). You’re just running into bugs either in the encoder having issues with this specific ATSC3 broadcast or the hardware decoder on the FireTV is having issues.

It’s going to require further investigation from us to identify which it is.

1 Like

Broadcasters could implement DRM on all ATSC 3.0 stations anytime they feel like it. Channels would be most likely permanently locked out of normal ATSC3.0 access. According to SiliconDust, the current AppleTV will never be able to watch ATSC3.0 DRM stations. So I am not sure purchasing an AppleTV for ATSC3.0 only, is a good idea.

I use Firestick 4K Max devices and they are 10,000% better than ONN devices, but only about 100% better than AppleTV. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Sorry, will not respond again.

I use 4 Amazon Firesticks and they are way better than ONN ... everyone has different uses ONN does not do XFINITY Stream so it is useless to me and I have recorded over 500 movies from HBO/Showtime using my Firesticks and Encoder/ADBTUNER and have yet to have a failure.... Obviously you have a problem with FireSticks maybe it is user error. :smile:

I see more bug reports here concerning AppleTV than FireTV I wonder why? could it be the Apple closed ecosystem?

At one remote location, I had to lower the Playback Streaming rate to 700kbps to remove playback pauses. On a 40in TV it didn't look too bad, but at least I could watch it.

Nope. Both ecosystems are closed. Both platforms have bugs. We have far less hardware workarounds for Apple platforms than we do Android platforms.

1 Like

But the Apple needing to use MPLAYER or what ever player it uses is limiting the use of the FiresTicks real Audio Passthrough AC4 decoding.

Unrelated.

I've done that too. However, I didn't like the picture so I just waited till the next day and watched on Hulu, peacock, or Paramount+. I still would prefer channels because some of the streamers are just as bad. I just wish some hotels would give higher speeds without having to pay for it. But sometimes I get better being on my ATT Cellular Hotspot, then I use that.

How about a client app for Linux, I really don't like streaming from a browser. I prefer a dedicated app. I've been looking at getting rid of the Fire TVs I have and going to a micro PC platform running on an i5 16GB and 500GB SSD. Running on Debian. I used to run windows 7 media center PC and I really liked the integration that it had for a lot of streamers. So I'm looking for a good replacement. I don't like Kodi and the others out there that tried to replace it. I digress, just want something robust, and just works well no matter what you throw at it. My two main servers for streaming is channels and Plex. I stream heavily on both, and I just use commercial streamer very little.