HD Home Videos have low frame rate

I'm running Channels DVR 2023.11.13.2159 (linux-armv7l) on a Raspberry Pi 4 and do most of my watching on an AppleTV (non 4k) running tvOS 17.1

Everything plays buttery smooth with this setup except for one kind of video – my 1080i home videos. I have no problem playing any OTA and recorded content. I also have no problem playing older 480i home videos. Only my own hi-def stuff is problematic. I'll note that I can play this HD content on any other device without issue, such as playing it directly from the Pi (using KODI).

But when I play it on my Apple TV via the Channels server, I get an intolerably low frame rate, like around 10 fps. These videos are mostly mp4 encoded with h.264, so nothing uncommon.

Why does it have no problem streaming high data rate 1080p movies and 1080i TV but not these home vids?

After you play one, please go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

Logs have been submitted as 13b7a408-0d85-4829-b8ac-2da9859a61bb

I should also mention that the problematic videos will stream just fine from the Channels server to any other device, like an iPhone or watching via the web interface. They only stutter on the Apple TV. That would seem to indicate that it's maybe an Apple TV problem and not a Channels server problem?

I’ll just close this thread out with my solution: buy an Apple TV 4K
Everything runs fine now, and the interface is a lot snappier than the old atv.