HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

That’s correct, it was recorded with a HDHR PRIME — sorry for any confusion. The errors I got back in February when I tried to transcode are here. We have since deleted the file in question and since we aren’t exactly getting any sports currently, I don’t think it’s possible to record more in the near future.

hopped on this this morning. does anyone know of a good website that talks about ATSC3.0 rollout?

1 Like

I can't find anything definitive on specific roll-out dates, but the main website is https://www.atsc.org/

1 Like

This is cool, but... Is anyone else a little confused/annoyed that SD has focused so intently on a product that can’t even really be used yet, while the Prime 6 has been nothing more than an empty promise for 2.5 years?

Yeah, that’s insane. Problem is that people wholeheartedly jump into these kick starters with companies that have yet to deliver on the last promised product. Also, kind of annoying to see Channels jump all over this while we’re still waiting for basic 4K playback of local content that’s been in Alpha/Beta for what seems like an eternity.

The Prime 6 was not offered thru a Kickstarter, and besides that poses a whole different kind of development challenge, is subject to CableCARD consortium approval, and is reliant on specific kinds of chips that were discontinued by the manufacturers.

I fully expect to receive my Quatro 4K in a reasonable amount of time. Seems to me the biggest problem with the Prime 6 is that they pre-announced it when they didn't have to, as they admitted in this explanation I recently reshared in another thread:

1 Like

Channels doesn't have to do anything to support the new device, so I'm not sure what your issue is.

Also, local content is pre-alpha, and quite crude, as explained when it was introduced. Remember, presently Channels is software for TV first and foremost. If viewing of your 4K local content is important, I'd recommend you search for software that meets your needs.

Unless you develop for them and have first-hand knowledge of their code, how are you so sure NO changes have to be made on the Channels end to support these devices, I’m absolutely certain there are changes that have to be made under the hood, now matter how minute. And I understand what Alpha/Beta means, but it’s been “Alpha/Beta for many months now. Still can’t import shows, or playback 4K content, after many months of Alpha/Beta. Haven’t seen a new feature in a year. Cancelled my sub today. Seems like you’re happy with the service, I’m happy for you and hope it continues that way. I like Channels, best implementation of Live TV I’ve ever had besides STB’s, but, the finicky TVE and lack of features just made me reconsider the whole cable channel thing. Selling my Prime and will simplify things by just relying on the streaming services I already pay for and use Plex for my personal content. That’ll keep the Wife and Kids happy once they get used to not having a favorite channel or two, and saves me tons of time, money, and headaches.

I might be interested in your prime if you definitely decide to sell it.

3 Likes

Backed this project!

Tampa is on the list of markets adopting this, so I am looking forward to this!

1 Like

Wonder if the Prime 6 will have a Atsc3.0 tuner is it ever comes out

The PRIME is a QAM tuner. It has never supported OTA.

1 Like

I thought it had one OTA tuner that you could hook up an antenna, my bad

Now over $350,000 from almost 1,650 backers.

1 Like

Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Star Citizen...

Send me your email. We tried getting out of our Triple Play package, but it simply isn’t worth it right now. We’re getting Triple Play for about $85 a month at the moment, and the Gig Internet is $70 before taxes and fees. But, once our two years are up, in about 4 months, they’ll surely hike the prices up again and that’s when we’ll get out of our commitment. The Prime I have has been babied and will come with a small cool pad. When I’m ready to sell I’ll contact you.

$400,268 from 1869 backers. 12 days to go. HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0

Now at over 2,000 backers and more than $442K, with 6 days to go.

They've added a "stretch goal": Apple TV support.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I see it.

2 Likes