HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

I notice CC do not work.

Interesting. I added the HDHR 4k tuner to my Emby setup. The ATSC 3.0 channels play audio and video without the pauses watching live tv. Running the latest HDHR firmware.

What device are you watching on ? I am going to try EMBY.

BTW Emby keeps the buffer on the server not the client. That is the only thing I do not like about channels is keeping the buffer in the client.

I'm watching on a vizio tv -- 2017 model via Shield.

I get no sound on any devices Shield Tube , FireTVCube , and Google TV using EMBY Channels works on all except for those darn pauses.

BTW did you look at the HDHomeRun config to make sure you were watching ATSC 3.0 in Emby???

Yes. Confirmed ATSC 3.0. However, FOX and ABC are now not playing on anything. I get a no video error. CBS and CW are still okay with Emby. NBC now rolls over to ATSC 1.0. I guess they are doing something in my market today.

Yeah this is all new so guess we have to be patient.

The HDHomeRun app also had that pausing problem ....

Release 20201025

• Win10 app: Fix problem causing buffering pause when playing video.

I won't have ATSC for about another 15 or so days. Do you see both ATSC 1.0 an 3.0 in the guide on AppleTV or FireTV? Curious how it looks / works.

There is no difference in the guide data.

The tuner decides what to use. HEVC/ATSC 3.0 is always preferred over MPEG2/ATSC 1.0. That's actually a problem right now because some playback issues still exist with HEVC/AC-4.

1 Like

Thank you. That's what I was concerned about is being able to choose and have them both up. I have unsuccessfully asked for the TVE local networks to show up in the AppleTV / FireTV(in addition to my OTA) and have the option to use either. For a remote setup, the TVE network will not require transcoding and would be likely the better choice. For recording if you want Dolby Digital on the networks, you'd likely want to select the OTA. For people with issues with their markets, it would be good to have 1.0 and 3.0 in the guide to easily switch. Just my two cents.

If you have more than 1 HDHR, you can prioritize them inside Channels. If this is your only tuner, all you can do is wait for SD to fix it. They've indicated that they're looking into a way to allow 1.0 to be prioritized over 3.0. 3.0 is not ready for use in a production DVR in my opinion, and I personally only have my quatro tuner connected until all of the outstanding issues are resolved. I bought this new tuner knowing I would be beta testing. As of yesterday all of the 3.0 channels in Portland went down, and I don't think they're back up yet. Stations in other markets have also gone down at times, so don't expect 3.0 broadcasts to be stable or usable for a while.

1 Like

Gotcha. Totally expected issues and that's why I was asking. I am running both new 4K SD and the Quattro SD tuners. I have old 1st and new 2nd. I'm sure they will find a good solution. They are very quick and embrace new technology. I love me some Channels.

1 Like

HDHR 4k firmware 20201030 seems to have fixed the majority of issues with audio and video.

CBS, NBC and CW play without any issues. ABC plays commercials fine, but when playing a show the sound is garbled. Fox is sill HD only and has been non-ATSC 3.0 for more than 5 days.

2 Likes

Right now Channels DVR trying to fix these problems are going to be like wack a mole ... as the new firmware only gave me back 2 channels most are missing. Expecting new firmware ... to be contnued.

1 Like

It's clear that Channels supports HEVC video and AC-4 audio at this point. My impression is that most (or maybe all) of the issues are on the firmware side. Broadcast configuration changes leading to entire channels disappearing, video or audio disappearing, timestamp problems leading poor playback, etc. SD has already put out about half a dozen firmware updates in the past 2 weeks, so I'm waiting for that to settle down a bit.

3 Likes

Working in Las Vegas area. Three stations on ATSC 3 but only broadcast on HD. No 4K Yet

3 Likes

Thanks for posting pics. How was the quality on the Ohio State game compared to ATSC 1?

No difference. Still HD