HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

You should be fine. I'm using a 1st Gen (2015) iPad Pro and have audio.

I'm also seeing no CC on live TV or in recordings, and no commercial detection.

So, after taking time to discern what is happening, here is what I am experiencing: suggestions to fix are welcome.
I have a Prime, a Dual and a new 4K and TVE set up in Channels. I have them, in that priority order, on the server. I will take the Prime and TVE out of this discussion.
On my 4k Fire Sticks:
If I make the 4k higher priority, all of the HEVC channels run very slow and choppy.
If I make the Dual higher priority, none of the HEVC channels or their non-HEVC equivalent channels display in the guide.
So, without manipulation, none of those channels are working.
Here is what I have to do to have a usable set up:
Set the 4K as the higher priority.
On the 4K settings, I have to inactivate each HEVC channel.
On the Dual, I have to make each of those non-HEVC channel equivalents a favorite.

Just FYI, the HEVC channels all work fine on the HDHR app on the Fire Stick.

Curious - how much space does ATSC 3.0/4K recordings take up? e.g. on my HDHomerun Prime recording normal 1080 shows, recordings look to be ~4-5GB per hour. Just asking as my 1080 shows take up ~2TB today, but wondering what the same would look like in ATSC/4K in the future to size the future hard drive accordingly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-atsc-30/faqs#project-faqs

4K recordings won't be much bigger than today's 1080i recordings.

1080i MPEG2 (ATSC 1.0) runs around 15-16Mbps making a 1 hour recording around 7GB.
4K HEVC (ATSC 3.0) runs around 15-20Mbps making a 1 hour recording around 8GB.

2 Likes

thanks!

Also note that nobody is currently broadcasting FTA 4K, and I don't think any broadcaster is expected to make that jump any time soon. For now everything is HD, and what I'm seeing is around 2-3Mbps, or about 1GB per hour. My little 1TB hard drive can hold around 800 hours of HD HEVC recordings.

Can't wait to try. My market is supposed to go live tomorrow morning! Hope my WD PR2100 can keep up.

Meanwhile, both the Bay Area and Sacramento Areas haven't updated their ATSC 3.0 progress in months... This 4k HDHR is an expensive paperweight for me right now... :frowning:

1 Like

I got mine in thinking I could tune in WRAL. They were fist in the country to go live. I quickly found out they lost their experimental station in phase 5 of the repack. Doh! Hope you see progress on ATSC 3.0 soon. That stinks.

It's not a paperweight at all. It also has 4 ATSC 1.0 tuners in it which work just as well as the Quatro while you wait for 3.0 to go live in your area.

My existing Quatro is handling recording duties just fine. Haven't really felt the need to either augment or replace the Quatro under these circumstances.

Seeing the same thing here in Austin. 42 can be choppy. It seems to get better as they continue to test over time.

All my channels have that choppy delay. Does anyone have smooth playback?

For me, ATSC 3.0 channels are choppy. ATSC 1.0 channels are fine. SD stated a few weeks ago they are releasing new firmware. Maybe it will help when they deploy it.

The problem with ATSC 3.0 seems to be in every market at the moment.

1 Like

That is my observation, except if I record the same channel to the DVR and replay from there the choppiness disappears. I have been experimenting with pausing the live TV too, but I have not reached a conclusive answer if the choppiness is just from the live stream.

I've had mixed results recording. My CBS station will record and play back but with some skips, ABC, CW, FOX and NBC are not watchable. In my market the stations removed most of the ATSC 3.0 about 3 weeks ago, so I'm not testing much these days. Pausing did not work for me. Interestingly enough, the first 30-45 seconds would play just fine and then chaos with the audio and video for live and paused.

From what I'm reading on various sites, there's no need to have any expectations until late 1st Qtr 2021 and that's for 1080p. 4k is going to be longer.

Got my HDHR 4K setup recently. Seeing choppy video and non-sync’d audio in the Portland market. Have the latest firmware (20201030) installed. I will play with it some more over the weekend.

1 Like

I have been watching the live TV today for several hours, on the same channel, and it seems like the playback is slightly too fast. If I pause the channel for about a minute to get a slight buffer within 30 minutes it catches back up to the live programming and the stuttering starts. If I then pause it for a minute and resume the play it will be good for another hour. I have been able to consistently reproduce this for several hours.

I've seen the same thing. I also only get audio from the left channel using a recent beta on Android TV. Unfortunately ATSC 3.0 is still unusable on Channels, at least for me.