HDHomeRun Premium TV quality?

For HDHomeRun Premium TV subscribers - Just wondering how the quality is? According to SiliconDust, the resolution is 720p. I was hoping for 1080p/i. What are your thoughts? Good picture? Any buffering issues?

1 Like

Never get buffering. PQ is fair 720p 30 fps. Promising H.265 which is in the works now. You won’t see 1080i probably 720p 60 fps which is fine with me . Definitely worth the $35 a month.

2 Likes

Dolby Digital?

Nope, but promised

I tried it for a month and cancelled. I found the PQ to be poor and experienced some, but very little buffering. Also, you cannot log in to the streaming channels apps with the Premium TV credentials. I decided that YTTV at $40 is better for me. The plus side is Channels, as usual, just worked. Controls, Guide and DVR worked the same as with my OTA channels.

1 Like

So may I ask, what is your final setup? Did you keep Channels for OTA? Or do you have a combination of YTTV and Channels. Going through this myself and trying to decide which is best.

I use Channels for OTA (23 Favorites, about 70 total), YTTV, Netflix, MLB and Hulu. If not for sports, I would not subscribe to a live streaming service. I was surprised by how much I like the OTA channels. The picture quality is very high.

When/If Premium fixes their problems, I will try them again.

I started my HDHomeRun Premium subscription this week. Honestly, I think the quality is mediocre at best. I ran some cable channels (using HDHR Prime) side by side with the corresponding Premium channels. There was a distinct difference in quality. I might be able to get past the lower quality, but they are currently down 7 channels due to contract disputes. So I'm fairly certain I am going to cancel my Premium subscription. The idea of Premium is fantastic, but I think they just tried to push it out too quickly.

They are supposedly in talks with their upstream provider to install their own encoding equipment with the upstream streams, thus improving quality. However, there is no timeline for when that will actually occur. (See the "Stage 2" forum post over at SiliconDust for more information.)

Like you, I am currently in the same position. I want to ditch my cable subscription, and the Premium TV lineup (before the "contract dispute") will nearly satisfy the household. However, the poor picture quality of their present streams, coupled with the missing channels (and uncertainty of whether they'll return), has me waiting.

(Also, the lack of communication with the "contract dispute", and the ease with which channels vanished from the service, has me questioning the long-term viability of their service.)

1 Like