HDHomrun Connect

I finally got fed up with Comcast and stopped my cable service and bought an HDHomrrun Connect and an indoor HD antenna.

With the antenna connected straight to the TV I get excellent signal quality on all available over the air channels with my TV showing the lowest signal strength @ about 78%, most are in the 85-100% range.

However, as soon as I connect the antenna to the HDHomerun Connect and try and run it through the Channels app I can only get 1 or 2 channels to come in without issue. I have the Connect plugged directly into my wifi router but signal quality shown on the Connect tuner web page shows poor signal quality whether the Apple TV is connected via wifi or by Ethernet via a Powerline network adapter. Both of these connection types show that I’m getting near my maximum rated download speeds using the Speedtest app on the AppleTV.

I previously had 2 HDHomerun Primes running on my network without too many problems overall, but the Connect is not doing so well…

If I can’t get this to work may have to scrap Channels which would really suck because I love the app and the developer’s support is fantastic. Just don’t want to have to go back to Comcast if I can avoid it and would still like to use Channels for viewing and recording via the AppleTV.

Any suggestions?

The issue is with the connect not with channels so you may need to get support from silicondust rather than channels. Are you using the same cables from the antenna in each case? sounds like you might have a dodgy connect. Could try a signal booster between the antenna and the connect or get support from silicon dust or replacement connect.

So after giving some thought on “what haven’t I tried” in regards to troubleshooting I decided to disconnect all of my powerline network adapters. As of right now that appears to have resolved it but we’ll see how it goes over the course of the evening.

Currently both of my AppleTV’s are connected wirelessly and seem to be having no issues.

1 Like

I purchased this app, Signal GH By Generally Helpful Software, its a few dollars i think now. It will run on apple tv 4 and iOS. It does an excellent job of showing signal strength and quality. read about it in the iTunes store, i have a hdhomerun extend. I use it to point my antenna. And also to test when I add a splice or splitter to measure loss. It will show you the location of each station and works with your phone’s compass to tell you how to aim you antenna.

Since the signal is tested good from the antenna, the issue is either hardware or network related. Most likely, you can’t send those kind of OTA bitrates (~20mbps per channel) over powerline without errors.