HDHR DUAL - Tuner not available error

FYI, I bought a CONNECT yesterday and comparing it to my old HDHR…there is no comparison.

On my HDHR I get 8 channels
On my CONNECT I get 21 channels! plus it just works!

I’m not sure what the difference is but I think I’m retiring my HDHR…hmmmm

1 Like

@mcouture :slight_smile: The HDHR DUAL is from ~2004; that’s tech hardware that is over 13 years old… when Windows 2000 was still used by businesses and XP was gaining end user acceptance (after the ME fiasco) and Mac OS X was still at the .0 (10.0)stage

2 Likes

Any idea when the fix will make it into a release? I’ve just installed DVR today, and suffering from the same problem.
Thank you.

Confirming that the version in Testflight fixes this problem, and works great. Looking forward to its official release. Thank you!

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I am having the same issue with Channels as Paul with Apple TV 4 (tvOS 11), Tuner not available error for a couple of weeks now. iPad and iMac works fine. Will I need a redeem code to use TestFlight? Thanks

This issue mentioned above was fixed in v3.0 available on the App Store. It also only affected DVR users.

Are you using a HDHR DUAL? Is the firmware on it up to date?

If you’re getting “tuner not available” it means there’s not a good signal coming from the tuner. You could try scanning for channels again.

I have v3.0.2.
Yes. I am using HDHomeRun DUAL. I believe so. It recent did an update. Not sure how to check it in Channels but, on the mac it reads 20170930.
I did another scan for channels. Over a hundred. Same error message.

Can you try the free app ‘InstaTV’ on your ATV to see if it works?

Or try the HDHR VIEW app on a computer or iPhone/iPad.

I also sent you the testflight build to try. If it shows the same error, go to the Settings tab and click Submit Diagnostics at the bottom.

Thanks. I tried the new 10.10.2034 app. I also restarted the ATV. Same issue Tuner not available. I submitted a diagnostics. I just downloaded instaTV. I’ll give it a try. Thank you

It’s hard to explain fully, but the first device seems to work and when after that I get Tuner Not Available as well – still (current release version of all Apps for iOS / ATV).

Even with just 1 stream in use, I get one LED on the DUAL lit up and he other is blinking for a while.
I can’t fully explain what is wrong, but Tuner Sharing with a Dual in the picture just isn’t working right :frowning:

If tuner sharing is turned off, does it work?

This may not be relevant; but since it is a DUAL… if you happen to have another compatible power supply, try it on the unit. The power supplies on those can fail due to ripple (voltage may seem fine, but the other components of the electrical signal are affected). One of the symptoms of an adapter going bad is that the first tuner works, but the second hangs or has otherwise strange behavior.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks again for all your help. None of the suggested apps or builds have worked with the Apple TV 4 or the iPad Air 2. The EyeTV 3 app still works on the iMac and iPad. Should I replace the Elgato HDHomeRun Dual with a newer model? if so, what would you suggest?

SilconDust just released the HDHomeRun DUO and QUATRO, available at Best Buy or bestbuy.com. The latter has 4 tuners. I just got one today and it is quite nice.

It’s strange that EyeTV works but none of the other software does. Can you try opening Terminal.app and run these commands, and copy/paste the output.

hdhomerun_config 10.0.1.2 get /tuner0/channelmap
hdhomerun_config 10.0.1.2 get /tuner1/channelmap

Last login: Thu Oct 12 19:32:48 on ttys000
[Gourdines-iMac-27–2077:~] russellg% hdhomerun_config 10.0.1.2 get /tuner0/channelmap
hdhomerun_config: Command not found.
hdhomerun_config 10.0.1.2 get /tuner1/channelmap[Gourdines-iMac-27–2077:~] russellg% hdhomerun_config 10.0.1.2 get /tuner1/channelmap

Looks like you may need to install the hdhomerun utilities first from SiliconDust’s website

@AcesAreWild I think I found your issue with Tuner Sharing and the DUAL. Try the next testflight build and LMK if its better.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks @tmm1

I’ll try it when I get the external TF push and let you know how it goes.

It was pushed a few hours ago. You should be able to update to v10.15.1737 from the TestFlight app

1 Like

Got it on ATV… is there an accompanying iOS version that should be tested along side this? My iOS TF build is 10.14.2305

@tmm1 – Wow, this is MUCH MUCH better! In fact, I’d say it is completely working properly now – with the exception of one thing. When all 4 of my tuners are indeed in use (2 on the DUAL, 2 on the EXTEND) I do NOT see the “Tuner Not Available” when I SHOULD SEE it by trying to tune a 5th stream in.

But so far, so good with the DUAL fix!!!