HDMI for Channels

I know from experience that writing software is a creative process, it is not like turning out machine tools. If the process is making you happy, you can turn out twice as much as you can when you feel that it is just a job you have to do to earn a living.

In order to be happy writing software, you have to work on the things that interest you most, occasionally balanced by the demands of your job. Telling a developer that they need to spend their time on something that makes you happy is absurd unless you are the one who is responsible for putting food on their table.

I am not always happy with the priorities chosen by the developers (Download to Android), but I know that these guys are doing more for their customers than any other commercial product I have ever seen.

It sounds like you should have done what I'm doing. Sit on the sidelines, follow the discussion and wait however many months it takes for the best solution to emerge.

4 Likes

As others said, a little R&R pays off. Take a break. Don't throw in the towel yet. You've done so well so early @turtletank . Don't unnecessarily overwhelm yourself. You're only one man...

Sorry folks. I appreciate the encouragement and decided to step off the ledge. The repo is back and I'll be taking a brief break but going to stick with it. Hopefully we can get a bit more support from channels core going forward - I am pretty sure we found a bug recently with stopping.

9 Likes

Exactly.

a tip for Windows users ... make sure to start the adb server at logon after a reboot by adding a task-to-task scheduler. This insures that the first task launches right away instead of waiting for the adb-server to start up.

1 Like

Hopefully you saw the docker-compose over in the ADBTuner thread. Once you get ah4channels spun-up, let's continue the discussion here.

Fair points about Netflix passwords and Disney+ quality. What would you think about tuning to a special "Amazon Prime" channel, then queuing up the movie you want to record and then selecting record, followed by adding padding to cover the length of the movie? Would that streamline things?

1 Like

It probably would. Although right now, I just spent a lot of time getting my system set up with ADBTuner, but I could see myself getting a tuner dedicated just for this if it streamlined things.

1 Like

I did, thanks so much. I'll get to work on that when I'm back home a little later.

At the rate this is evolving I could see myself getting a 4-tuner encoder in the near future...!

1 Like

Another option would be to use just one port on a four port tuner dedicated to ah4channels and recording of static content?

And... I was just thinking, what about using VLC to do the recording -- taking the stream right from the encoder? Name it with the movie title and year, and it'd be picked up by Channels if it's in the correct folder when completed.

EDIT:

So re-reading your post with the ffmpeg command, I see you're not using ADBTuner for this at all. Rather, just using VLC to get to the movie you want and ffmpeg to record it. That's not actually too bad of an approach -- I assumed ADBTuner was involved somehow. You could probably do the whole thing with just VLC, although having the recording stop automatically is a command line thing in VLC too I believe.

If you want to record/download Prime on demand it is Cheaper to Invest in Anystream.... better Quality and Sound. You get the shows and selectable subtitles..

1 Like

Those guys! I used their AnyDVD stuff for years when I was digitizing my DVD collection on the original version of Windows Home Server with Media Center and MyMovies -- very cool at the time. Pop in a DVD, it would auto rip, and show up automagically in Media Center shortly after. Glad to hear they're still around -- with some new solutions.

Correct, although I’m using ADBTuner, I’m not using it for recording from streaming services like Prime, Netflix, etc. I initially used VLC for not just the “tv screen” for the encoder/streaming stick, but to record, too. But I had to keep the window open to use VLC (I think?), and FFMpeg allows me to just fire the command in Terminal and it records with no visible video playing.

Cool, thanks, I didn't realize there was a Mac version... I was confusing AnyStream with AnyDVD...

I’m curious as to if y’all have an audio delay setup on your encoders? Mine is currently set to -5 but still haven’t found a sweet spot as of yet. I have the Iseevy encoder.

AnyStream is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Using a VM will restrict the number of downloads per day.

Thanks! I found it here.

With the Uray encoder I do see random a/v sync issues on recordings, but there's no pattern to it that I can see and I do have daily reboot enabled.

Fortunately I mostly use it for sports so not much of an issue.

What version of the uray do you have and what resolution do you have your video output from your android device set at? For the earlier versions of the device (the ones where 1080p is limited to 30fps) it is best to have your android device set to output 720p. This way you can set the uray to encode at 720@60fps.

The more recent versions of the uray devices (the 4k versions) should easily do 1080p@60fps. If you watch the internal cpu usage of the old ones you see where 1080p taxes them a lot.

Anyone have experience with this device?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225689397726

1 Like