HDMI for Channels

I have seen HDMI USB capture cards that do hardware encoding on the device and pass mpeg4 streams. I'll try to dig it back up.

Testing stream for now [hopefully the more skillfull ones will help to refine it]

/opt/Hauppauge/bin/hauppauge2 --serial E505-00-00AF2C6B -i 3 -a 3 -d 2 |  ffmpeg -i - -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -tune zerolatency -listen 1  udp://127.0.0.1:1234/stream

It plays with 5.1 audio when called on like so:

ffplay udp://localhost:1234/stream

It plays with 5.1 audio when called on like so:

Wait, for real? Which card are you using specifically you mentioned 2?

1 Like

For real man.

Here is a video of where I am currently at:

1 Like

Which card is that? I'll promptly order one for my linux box and help test.

Sorry, steped away. Hauppauge Colossus 2.

https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Colossus-Express-Internal-HD-PVR/dp/B00WMJMDG6/ref=asc_df_B00WMJMDG6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309743296044&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9300924594825467615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026223&hvtargid=pla-556736748717&psc=1

Can confirm this one will work. The linux driver casts it as a usb device. There are in fact usb versions but some of them do not work with the driver so I will hold of on recommending them for now

I think trying to power my 4 devices and the encoder was pushing it. So I will use the Brick.

Thanks! I'll experiment tomorrow and get it working with the HDMI code.

probably the best solution here would be to teach androidhdmi-for-channels to be able run this hauppage command (without the ffmpeg pipe bit) as an alternative to a http url for the underlying video stream.

I went the path of the http url because I saw where androidhdmi-for-channels seemed url dependent. Are you saying ti should work if I simply input the first part of the command?

not currently but that's what @KompilerDJ is working to add

Some context generally for anyone interested in testing this out.

The driver for linux can be found here:

In one of his more recent posts the developer wanted to know if anyone was willing the take over the project since he does not have the device anymore. If you are capable and willing...

If you are tempted to try out one of the usb versions of the card (hdpvr 2) please note that for now only SOME of the ones with a spidf port will give you ac3 audio (dd 5.1) both via the port and via hdmi.

The ones that currently do that with the driver are the ones with a mini usb out port at the back. They are the newer ones apparently. At the back of them you will see a model number like 1573xxx Rev. x.

The ones with the spidif port and the standard sized usb out port will only give ac3 output in Windows! The linux driver needs some work apparently. These ones will have model number that read 1572xxx

There are no such problems with the colossus 2, the pice version of the card linked above.

I currently run a few of these on a linux based nextpvr server dedicated to movie capture.

2 Likes

Pretty much done - will be testing tomorrow. Finally we can get some 5.1 love.

PS: thinking of adding device capture support as well. Or maybe that could just be a fancy shell cmd?

2 Likes

No epg set up yet but output seems solid in channels dvr.

2 Likes

Edit

Really appreciate the history I dropped out of these types of things in the 90s when running on windows. Anyone remember Microsoft Phone the pots wireless version?!

Are you using handbrake to rip? If so what are your preferred settings?

PS: what if you could just drop a disk into a drive and it auto ripped to channels? This is what I am thinking about!

Edit.

Totally agree with you on the picture quality comparison. Picture is sharper on the network encoder devices.

I have been re-watching some nature documentaries I originally watched with 2.0 audio recorded with channels dvr. I re-recorded them with 5.1 audio on my nextpvr server and I must say the sound adds immensely to the overall experience. I will stick to the network encoder for sports though. If only they would release a firmware that can do audio pass through.

1 Like

Edit.

Edit.