Help Installing Channels DVR onto a Drobo 5N

I have installed the channelsdvr.tar onto my Drobo 5N. When restarted nothing has happened with the .tar file. So, I unpacked it and move the folder directly into the Drobo apps share. It does show up in my list of Drobo apps, but I am unable to log in.

Anyone out there have any tups and tricks on how to install this onto a Drobo 5N? A quick step by step guide would be very helpful.

Thank you!

What do you mean by “unable to log in”?

Is there an error shown? What url are you connecting to?

I believe there’s more to installing than just untar manually… there might be some scripts that need to run.

I imagine that something else is required, I just have not seen anything else on installing it other than one thread here in the community. Sorry, it isn’t an error, when I attempt to start the app using the Droboapps it does not start up. goes through the motions and then stays stopped. When I hit the configure setting within the Droboapp dashboard it takes me to the configure webpage which failed to load.

I have had the DVR installed successfully installed on my Mac for months. Just trying to switch it to something that is always on. Appreciate any insights you are able to provide, and please know I am able to SSH into my Drobo, but I am not by any means a coder or developer. I will need some very specific steps to take :slight_smile:

We only have a couple users on the Drobo, and I don’t have one myself to test with so my advice is very limited.

SSH in to run this command and copy/paste the results back:

find /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/ChannelsDVR/ -ls

You might also try removing the manually extracted folder and putting the .tgz back in the share. Earlier you said you added a .tar but the file is supposed to be a .tgz. Maybe your browser opened it after downloaded and extracted the tar out of the tgz.

Once you copy it onto the Apps share you can reboot or run /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh over ssh.

Well that was it. Safari and Chrome were both unpacking the .tgz. We are all good and everything is working like clockwork. Appreciate the assist!

1 Like

I have been running the DVR server on my Mac, but I am ready to offload it to my Drobo 5N. I followed the instructions, but when I run /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh, I get a permission error?

Drobo5N:/bin $ /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh
/usr/bin/DroboApps.sh: line 428: can't create /var/log/DroboApps.log: Permission denied
Drobo5N:/bin $

TVE is not supported on the Drobo, and honestly its pretty slow so things like commercial detection and transcoding will not work.

Regarding your error, it seems like a permissions problem so maybe you didn't ssh as root?

Thanks for the quick responds, I guess I will scrap this project. I haven't figured out how to use the root user on my Drobo, I used my Drobo main admin credentials via ssh.