Help please understanding multiple source recordings

I'm still testing my system and have many questions, but this is todays:

I have a HDHomerun Quattro as a source and also have also set up a Custom Channel using a M3U playlist from my FTA Enigma2 satellite receiver. I have EPGs loaded OK for both and can watch either source live with no problem. The Homerun is at the top of the priority list.

Today I have been testing running multiple simultaneous recordings to check the system can record from either source. All channels set to record are available on both sources. But as soon as I got to more than 4 recordings the extra ones failed with an "HDHomeRun 805 all tuners in use message".

I had set up all of the recordings as individual recordings (not Series Pass) from the Guide for programs that hadn't started yet. I presumed the system would look in the guide for instances of that program on any source so would find and utilise my FTA satellite feed if the Homerun was fully utilised. Is that not how it should work? Does it only work with Series pass, or is there something else I need to do to make sure the Sat feed is included?

Thanks in advance

Edit - I don't know if this makes any difference but the Guide I used to set up the recordings was in a Channels Collection, not the "main" guide (if that is correct terminology).

Further edit. With all 4 tuners in use on the Homerun I am able to also successfully record a channel that is only on the Sat feed source (one of the music channels that is on FTA Satellite but not FTA terrestrial). So it feels like the system isn't looking at the Sat feed source when it runs out of HomeRun tuners.

If you manually set a recording, it will use the channel you set it with. You specifically told it to record it.

Passes will choose the channel for you based on the priority heuristics. You only told it what you wanted to record, so it will determine where to get it.

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I'll set up some passes to check it out.

If I added a second HDHomerun Quattro would that be treated any differently by the system? I just wondered what happens to channel numbers with 2 sources the same?

Channels will just use them as needed fit. It won't show double channel numbers in the guide. Your guide will remain the same and your tuners will pooled together for recording or watching.

You won't notice a thing, you'll just have more capacity for recording and watching.