Help setting up Channels on Xfinity

I tried to post in an Xfinity thread, but couln't get access. I built a Raspberry Pi for my son. He is trying to get setup with an Xfinity Modem/Server. He has Xfinity internet only and he is using his Xfinity modem for internet and wireless. I told him when he did this it probably be a mistake.He is using a Firestick with a HDHomerun and Philo. He downloaded the two Channels apps for the Firestick. The problem is he can't get access to the channels setup page as he does not know and can't find the the IP address. for Channel's. He even had trouble getting his Xfinity IP address. So, the bottom line is how should he proceed. He has paid the $80 subscription. Xfinity seems to make everything difficult.
Thanks

What did he install Channels DVR Server on?

The RPi?

The DVR web interface on http://dvr-server is accessible as soon as the OS boots (step 4), approximately 25-30s after the Pi is powered on.
https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/installation/raspberry-pi/

He installed Channels on the Raspberry Pi I built for him.
Thanks for the reply.

Additionaly to the above, he could download the xfinity app to reach the router settings or use a web browser. Instructions here Xfinity router login

If the server is in the same household that the XFINITY Modem is connected to it would not have any bearing at all. If he wants outside access then as Rice stated, you can use the XFINITY app to port forward 8089.

THE XFINITY APP should show what devices are connected.

If that's for Channels DVR then he could post here.

I would also recommend he hardwires the RPi using a network cable to a switch or the Xfinity gateway/modem instead of using a WiFi connection to it (that would be asking for problems).

1 Like

Yes, he has paid the $80 subscription. He has to be at work at 5:30 AM and does not get home until 3 to 4:00 PM. So, I am posting for him as he does not have much free time before he has to go to bed.

His Raspberry is hard-wired to the Xfinity modem. We have everything pretty much up and running. There is one problem remaining. Since we used my computer to set up the Raspberry, there seems to be some dregs from my computer. In his Admin/Settings/Status page, my user name appears on the far right of the page. He logged out of that but seems unable to log in with his user name. Everything on the page appears correct except for his user login name, which is blank in the place where my name was. I don't know if it matters, but it would seem his username should be there. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I never had to do it, but here are a coupe posts from Aman

post explaining exactly what you're doing

Thanks for the help. His Raspberry is up and running perfectly. This is a great Community Support option.
Thanks again
WCW

1 Like