Help with FIOS Away port forwarding

I thought I was reasonably tech savvy but I’m a novice when it comes to router configurations. In the house Channels is working on WiFi connected devices in the home.

I currently have this kind of setup:

Small white box (coverts fiber to something compatible in the house?)
|
White (ONT?) box
|
Black Frontier-provided modem/router with WiFi disabled. HDHomeRun is connected to this.
|
Google WiFi mesh (only has one Ethernet OUT)

Laptop running Channels via WiFi. Won’t work with Ethernet to black Frontier router.

I tried reversing the last two but the HDHomerun wouldn’t work that way and the family had little patience to let me tinker much.

I’m very confused about how to configure my router settings to get the Away streaming to work.

1. Do I configure the firewall port forwarding on the Frontier router? The frontier admin address seems different than typical. If so, the options in there appear different than I’ve typically seen.
  2. Or should there be some option for the Google Mesh WiFi router? If so, any advice on how/where I get to those settings?
  3. I think I found my public IP address per Channels instructions/suggestions. I have both an ipv4 and ipv6 address. The last set of digits on each changed when I went back to recheck it a half hour later.
  4. I was able to find my private IP address per Channels instructions just fine but I cannot connect to my.channelsdvr.net on the laptop Channels is running on.
  5. On the Frontier router settings it says to select a device from the list or “add device manually”. Is this where I’d manually add the “custom Channels DVR name”?
  6. Portchecker.co seems to indicate that 8089 is closed.

Frontier router port forwarding options:

Their is no modem with FIOS. The ONT basically does the same function and converts the fiber to Ethernet. If you are not using cable TV then you don't need the Fios router at all. Just connect the google mesh to the Ethernet from the ONT. Then I would purchase a 4 port switch (or Larger) and use the 1 Ethernet out port to make 4 ports (or more depending on the switch size.). Then connect the HD Homerun to one of these ports.

Thank you. Last weekend when I tried connecting the Google mesh directly to the ONT the WiFi seemed to be working kind of odd. Worked fine on some devices and not on others. On my own phone I had to turn off WiFi and turn back on to get it to work. I wonder if I just needed to be more patient(?). The family was getting agitated about WiFi being “down” so I just reverted back after a few minutes. Maybe resetting ONT and/or Google mesh might get them working better? I’ll have to experiment some night after they’ve gone to bed.

Do you think the new connection setup will also address the Away Channels steaming (would port forwarding not be necessary then)?

Do this so it will get a fresh new IP. @Rwbisme is correct, there is no modem for FIOS service, so you can just use your own router.

By using 2 routers, you are creating 2 internal networks, this is why you can't forward ports. Google wifi cannot work in bridged mode, which would solve this for you by not creating a second network, but it can't.

You'll need to ditch the frontier router completely and just live off the Google Wifi. @Rwbisme's suggestion is the correct one.

Also you may have to call them to activate the ethernet port on the ONT if you are currently using MOCA and a reboot of the ONT won't activate it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.