HGTV freezing on the same commercial every time

i have flip or flop on right now (and have for about an hour), and literally every commercial break the stream freezes at the exact same point in the exact same commercial. changing channels and going back or exiting to guide and going back in fixes it, and the stream has been flawless otherwise.

any ideas?

If you open hgtv.com on a computer at the same time, does the stream keep playing there? Does the quality of the video change in the middle of the commercial on their website?

give me a bit, i'll let you know.

right now, the hgtv.com live stream says they're having technical difficulties...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

as soon as the commercial in question comes up on the web stream, the video stops and the following error comes up:

An Error Occurred

ERROR: [OBJECT OBJECT]

WE'RE SORRY, WE'RE HAVING PROBLEMS PLAYING VIDEO ON THIS BROWSER. PLEASE TRY AGAIN OR FOR A BETTER EXPERIENCE, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE, UNDER "MORE WAYS TO WATCH."

1 Like

the weird thing is that on the web stream it's stopping as soon as the commercial starts. on the channels stream, it's stopping at a different point further into the commercial.

The web player is probably buffering further and dying when the middle of the commercial fails to load.

Can you try the hgtv app and see what happens there?

BTW what browser did you try their site in?

chrome

interestingly enough, i recorded an episode yesterday (two actually) that were running when this was happening - they seem to have recorded fine. the recordings don't get stuck where the live feed was stopping every time.

The recordings will error but then reconnect and resume recording. You should see some errors in the DVR Log, and on ios/tvos/web its marked as "interrupted".

If not, then probably that commercial didn't air during the episode.

I've started getting a similar issue myself on Comedy Central this week. Since it's broken on the streaming websites too we're struggling to find a good workaround.

@tmm1 if possible maybe send image\video clip of channels logo from dvr to client for short period of time when stream error is detected.

Don't think it's as easy as that sounds. They're just giving you/recording what the website feeds you. That's like asking them to put up the Channels Logo and some sound during commercial breaks on OTA and CABLE TV!

TiVo's have a similar problem sometimes when you download perfectly good recordings from them and you end up with glitches in your downloaded files.

It's the networks/website providers causing the issue, the Channel Devs are just trying to work around those issues (ever changing target?).

TVE is not OTA or Cable it uses url's that change any very often the trouble is with the url like the error below for a bad commercial that stopped my live stream and I am sure a 403 error can be detected pretty easliy.

Error during stream TVE-Spectrum ch6022 PARAMOUNT: Failed to download file: https://x-viacom-stgec.uplynk.com/ausw/slices/8f5/4f59ea65df184a2580ad8fc80d3eaa32/8f528e9b8b434e2faf26a449cbf439b0/G0000000F.ts?pbs=c50bc5a844f5497f9dda498a7d6497d2&_jt=l&euid=cf282d20-90c0-4049-ac00-162b0b5cfd1f&chid=50f0db1b35d947b3b4ef2f2e7e5d8f54&oid=ccc958034db04235b1e90e769d230296&si=2: 403 Forbidden

True, still...

and if you were recording the program you prefer to see a Channels logo and some sound recorded and magically inserted into the stream?

Not trying to dismiss your idea, just don't think it's possible. I'll move on and let the devs reply to you.

Let me drop this thought to the Developers. I was having trouble with a news channel. when MCE removed the commercials, during playback I had to skip back 10 seconds to get the audio back in sync. Only happened on that one channel, of course what I am about to explain probably happened on more channels, I just didn't record those. So watching the live shows on a digital TV, I noticed that the timing was off on the commercial insertion computer. So while cable was at local commercial, the recordings looked ok to HDHomerun, on the digital TV, the commercial happened in the upper Left corner about 60%, while the remainder of the screen had a freeze frame of where we left the national feed.
So working in the TV industry, this is just an error setting at the cable headend that had the incorrect timing settings, size, or resolution. wrong or glitched into the commercial feed computer. HD Home run handled the problem, but the 8 year old Samsung TV could not deal with the wrong resolution or timing jump inserted into the feed. and MCE also struggled with that jump by throwing off the audio portion of the program.
So are pre recorded commercials having this same issue. or timing jumps when a commercial is not inserted into the stream.

I have been having the same issue on TVE while watching Fox News Channel. Happens on the same commercial every time. It's a commercial about a power co. When is climbing the pole at the end it always freezes. I then have to get out and back in. The other channels will work but not Fox News until sometimes I have to reboot.

Four months ago I saw issues with TVE commercials, not sure if same thing @bartmoon bartmoon is talking about.

I've also seen some of my TVE recordings where the inserted adverts are lower resolution and at a different frame rate than the program/movie recorded.

Fox is the news channel i was referring too