High CPU on TNAS (not a channels issue)

This is general question for those who are familar with NAS devices and such.

I have a TNAS (terramaster f5-221). I don't have any apps installed on it. I only use it for storage. It is where all my movie and tv rips are stored and backed up photos and documents and such.

When I add movies to Channels and it runs it's video indexing the cpu goes pretty high (anywhere from 60% to 85%). In the past even when I used Emby and while it is running video scans the cpu would also go high while it's happening.

It also seems to go high even when I am just moving video files from it and to it.

I have it setup with samba and that is how I access the files.

Is this normal? I bought the NAS without worrying about it's cpu performance because I knew I wouldn't use it to run any software, just to hold files in a central location to be accessed from other software. I knew it would be too underpowered to run anything significant on it.

Just to add: I don't see this high cpu usage when channels is accessing the files during playback.

Directory traversal can be a decent amount of work and will vary depending on the file system. Copying a file for playback is not demanding at all.

If you have a lot of movies and TV shows in the directory(s) and you are not having performance issues, I would not be concerned.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. The only time it caused issues is when I was trying to playback a video file from one piece of software while Channels was generating the video index files. It would cause the video to buffer or even stop playback.

Once I get through all the video indexing I am sure it will be fine for the future.

I guess I was more curious if it was normal or not or if there was some issue. If it's normal I will just ignore it.

You can check the system or activity monitor to see what's using CPU

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer. I'd forgotten I could check that. I am used to doing that on my PC, never actually checked it on the NAS.

I looked and it is the samba protocol using most of the cpu. I didn't know samba used so much cpu.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.