High Virtual Memory Usage on Raspberry Pi 4

I just got everything configured with my Channels DVR running on a Raspberry Pi 4B (8 GB). I'm booting off a 64 GB Micro SD card and have a 1 TB SSD for DVR storage. I have several passes that have started recording and while checking performance, it appears to be using (and exhausting) virtual memory instead of physical memory. There were two items listed under "Activity" when I took these screenshots. One said "processing recording" and the other said "detecting commercials" and both indicated the same recording.

2021-01-18_233549

Apologies if this is a basic question...I have some Linux experience but am still pretty green. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure where that screenshot is from or what exactly it's showing. Virtual memory is virtual and thus unbounded. That claims only 100mib which makes no sense. Maybe it's referring to swap space?

Yes, it's swap space. The second screenshot is from the dashboard of webmin.

The default settings in /etc/dphys-swapfile are CONF_SWAPSIZE=100 (which is 100 MB). In the screenshot, I was showing that 100% of the 100 MB of swap space is being utilized while almost none of the physical memory is being used.

The command ps aux shows that the channels-dvr process is using around 1.2 GB.

Trying to figure out why swap space is being used instead of physical memory.

I'm still having this issue with swap space being used instead of physical memory. How do I go about getting assistance?

Swap usage is normal. You can turn off swap or increase it. 100mb is barely anything, and if it data is sitting in swap then nothing is using it. If something needed that data it would get swapped back into physical RAM.

1 Like