History channel through spectrum no longer supported?

So the history channel is now saying stream is no longer available or tuner not available

Hmm yeah mine broke too. Worked fine yesterday...

2020/05/26 20:59:54.249616 [DVR] Error running job 1590541190-57 Grant: could not start stream on channels=[6044]: TVE: Stream Not Available

This is a bummer and a deal breaker for me. Really had high hopes keeping channels DVR.

Is it working on https://play.history.com/live

I have Optimum and it is working for me.

Use a browser on their web site, I am presented with a Spectrum graphic. I click the graphic and get the standard Spectrum login. Once I enter my login information and submit, I get a 404 Error.

Just throwing in more info. History Channel works on my end (Spectrum TV Choice based out of LA). Also works logging into https://play.history.com/live

Its working on with my account. Part 1 of grant recorded with no issues for me.

1 Like

I tried to go to the website. At first I got an error about name resolution, so I disabled my pi-hole, and was able to refresh and it loaded. That was a couple of hours ago. My pi-hole is back on now, and I was just able to stream the channel with Channels on my iPhone. So maybe the pi-hole was a red herring. Perhaps Spectrum was just having some issues in some regions.

This issue does expose an annoyance with Channels, however. Even though Channels failed to record episode 2, it still marked the episode recorded in the database. I know this must be the case because I found a re-air of episode 2 in the guide, and tried to set a manual recording. It won’t queue it up. So I’ll have to go into the pass and enable “re-record deleted”. Would it be possible to not mark the episode recorded unless the recording is confirmed to be good somehow? Also, I think if a manual recording is scheduled from the guide, it should ignore the “already recorded” flag somehow. The way it functions today just seems like a bug, as no error message is presented. The dialog vanished successfully, but the recording doesn’t queue.

Edit: One more thing just occurred to me. I guess it’s possible that if there is some kind of authentication process that doesn’t have to occur every time, it’s using a different domain that the pi-hole is blocking, even though the main content domain is not blocked. That would explain the behavior too (although when I got it to work with the pi-hole disabled I was using a web browser, not Channels. Not sure if that could possibly create an authentication token that would allow Channels to work too).

One more piece of info. The failure detection of Channels actually picked up that this failed. Even if we can’t automatically requeue another episode if found in the guide (which would be awesome), maybe it would be easy to at least clear the “recorded” flag on the episode so we can manually set it to record when this occurs?

Please click Help > Submit Diagnostics

Submitted as 514fb604-737f-41df-aac8-768cfc3b5ae0

Verified that the streaming site went down last night for a few hours. Anyone that had this recorded last night should have the same error. The web stream came back online early this morning. Not a channels issue.

The history/a&e live streams are only a few weeks old now, so probably going through some growing pains as more people start using them.

As a workaround can you pause the Pass, then select the episode from the guide to record, then un-pause the Pass? Going on memory, but think I've done that before.

Edit to add: When you see it in the guide it will be marked as Recorded, click the drop-down and select Mark as not recorded which will allow you to re-queue it.
Screenshot_2020-05-27%20Channels%20DVR

Yes I can confirm this can work. I have done this on more than a few occasions.

Interesting, didn’t know this existed. I was looking in the iOS client, which doesn’t have any indication that an episode has already been recorded as far as I can tell. Good to know on that. I still would love to see that flag not get set if the recording fails.

+1

Thank you for your response!

I have the history Channel through Att TV Now, but for some reason it's not showing up in my Channels app with TV Everywhere.