How do you find (locate) the shows you want to record?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I am genuinely wondering how others figure out what shows are on that they might want to record.

The new seasons/recommended shows/upcoming movies show the most obvious stuff, but how about everything else? Especially one-off shows that might be a re-run from eight years ago?

I find the guide in the web interface more or less completely useless. Sorry, but it's the truth. Having to go though the tabs "today, 6pm", "today 9pm", "tomorrow midnight", "tomorrow 3am" for all channels is not practical or workable in any reasonable sense of the word.

The search is a bit better, but not much, since it only searches on the title of the show. No search of a synopsis, detailed episode and/or plot description, actors, author, or anything, like I'm used to from Windows Media Center. In fact, aside for a one-liner most of that data doesn't even exist.

I'm at my wits end on how I actually find shows I may want to watch (which is mostly history related documentaries).

So, I'm interested in learning: how do y'all actually find the shows you want to watch?

You might find this useful:

I have to admit, I usually go in looking for a specific program, so the search and web interface guide is my go to for that. Two things that I really miss in this regard from other software:

• The ability to go backwards in the guide to find a program whose season is over,
  • The ability to select a show in any manner, and then select "find future airings," or "find past airings."

The problem with maintaining a database of past airings is that the Gracenote license that the developers have may not allow them to store historical data, nor allow searching through it. Such features/access would probably require a different license/agreement, and would likely also mean higher costs.

Well, it does appear to allow me to search the (still limited) program/episode description which is great. Only, it's pretty convoluted and I'm not going to even try explaining to my wife to she can search this way. This - preferably along with more comprehensive plot descriptions - should, in my humble opinion, really be part of the "standard" search and not hidden in an obscure technical setting as the advanced pass is.

But I do appreciate the input. Anything helps right now!