How does tuner priority work?

I have 3 channels that we watch a lot that I can't get with my xfinity TVE login (FOX, CBS & CW). The shows we watch are sometimes back to back and on at the same time, so I have a HDHomeRun Quatro for 4 OTA tuners and a HDHomeRun Prime for 3 cable card tuners.

I have both devices only seeing those 3 channels I can't get with my xfinity TVE login and I have set the HDHomeRun Prime above the HDHomeRun Quatro for tuner priority.

I have all of my passes set to start on time and finish 3 minutes over just in case. So, there is a possibility of a tuner conflict.
What happens if all the stations (FOX, CBS, CW) has a show on at 8pm that I have a pass for that is set to run 3 minutes long. Then CW has another show on at 8:30pm that I have a pass for.
What happens? What I hope happens is that the DVR sees that all 3 tuners on the Prime cable card device are in use, because all 3 shows have a 3 minute padding, and then uses the OTA Quatro tuner for the CW show that starts at 8:30pm. Is that how it is suppose to work? I haven't run into this use case yet but see it could be possible now since more of the CW shows my wife watches are coming back on.
Thanks for the help!

That is correct.

(Edit: I need to make sure I have my coffee; I misread the OP and did not see that the second recording was for an already recording channel. See the response from @chDVRuser below for the correct answer.)

As a reminder, make sure you have set this priority order on the DVR server. The priority setting in the client apps are just for live viewing, and have no impact on recording.

If scheduled recordings run back-back on the same channel (CW), the DVR will continue using the same tuner (tuner sharing) to record the first and second show. So your two CW shows will both record from the same Prime tuner. Would be the same case if two back-back recordings on FOX or CBS.

1 Like

Ah, I didn't clearly read the OP to realize that the second recording was for a channel already being recording.

Thanks to both of you for your answers. That news is better than I expected.
However, I have one follow up question.
If I do have back to back recordings and the same channel that has passes set to run 3 minutes longer, does the DVR then ignore the 3 minute extra time and just go back to the normal stop time?
Thanks for the help!

No, it will honor the 3 extra minutes of the first recording, and the second will start on time. There will be 3 minutes where the recording is saved into 2 different files.

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought it would do and is fine with me.
Thanks again for all the help!