How hard is RPi and Channels?

I’ve bought all the pieces and they’re stacked next to the TV. But the more I read the forums, the more hesitant I become. I can follow web UI instructions but know nothing about coding or Linux. And it seems like a new hurdle to RPi and Channels surfaces weekly. How can a non-techie like I am be assured I won’t get mired in a mess if I start burning images, etc?

You will only see problem posts here - the Channels devs have really made this a simple installation.

If you're techie enough to build the Pi and attach everything, you should be able to do the rest.

Post here if you need help!

1 Like

Entirely agree, the devs here have done a fantastic job pulling together a really straightforward default Pi setup with equally straightforward instructions. It's a great product with incredibly responsive devs. Don't sell yourself short - you can do this.

1 Like

Appreciate the confidence booster. Busy week this week but next weekend I’ll be giving it a stab. Thanks again.

I decided to move Channels from my Synology NAS to the RPi a year ago. I knew nothing, zero, zip about the RPi but bought the recommended equipment and followed the instructions. I just kept my Synology running until I was comfortable (and trusted) the Pi, you can have multiple servers running simultaneously. The install went great, I had a couple noob questions that the Devs (and other members) answered respectfully. One month later I deactivated the Synology and have been running the RPi exclusively since then.

It really is set/forget as the Devs automatically maintain/update the unit in the background. Every once in a while a problem will creep up but always seems to be fixed immediately. I am super impressed with this setup and just last week renewed my yearly subscription. Just go for it, you'll love it!

3 Likes

Set and forget is the assurance I want. :+1:t3:

Following up — about two months ago I reordered all the parts, including a hard-to-get RP4. I signed up with all five US suppliers to be notified when in stock and within two weeks had one in hand. The hesitancy set in again until Lon.tv posted an excellent how-to video on YouTube.

Between the video and assurances on here, I leaped. And now I feel like an idiot for being so hesitant. It was a piece of cake. Within days of launching, I subscribed for a year. Thanks to you and others for your nudge. :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

11 Likes

Awesome!

I have been using the RPI4, 4 gig running with a terabyte ssd, no card for a little over two years non stop. Large v yagi in attic picks up all locals on the same tower located south of Houston 39 miles away!
TVE in Philo and Sling Blue.
Great setup!

1 Like