How local TV stations plan to remain relevant as viewers shift to streaming

1 Like

I actually subscribe to a small streaming package offered by spectrum. I used to have direct tv now but they kept raising the price so I ditched them. Only thing that bothers me with spectrum is my fee for the networks goes up evey year. I use playon as my dvr but since I discovered channels, only by it appearing in my news feed, I'm using cdvr now mostly as my DVR & playon is my backup. I view tv through emby so overall I'm happy with my setup. I may just ditch spectrum & get locast & pay the 20 dollars for cable channels without sports & local networks.

From the referenced article:

“The focus for local broadcasters really needs to be ‘let’s get our viewers something compelling to watch that you can’t find anywhere else,’” said Perry.

The problem is broadcasters aren't doing that. A few years ago, about the time I bought our SD networked tuner and, eventually, signed up for Channels, we were watching six or so broadcast TV series, weekly. Perhaps more, at times. Plus network and local news.

We're down to maybe three or so entertainment series. Network and local "news" has become so execrable we watch network "news" not at all and local "news" only to catch the weather forecast.

The streaming devices aside: We spent several hundred dollars on a networked OTA tuner and NAS. I probably would not do that today. The value proposition no longer exists.

I think we will always have the need to know what's happening in our community. Local channels will always be there. So you want some entertaiment you go to Netflix, HBO MAX, and every other paid streaming service. But if you want news (not CNN ... etc) you go to you local ABC, FOX, NBC or CBS.

Or Locast. I wonder if TV tuners will be a thing of the past.

Locast is a relay for broadcast television. Although I don't use it (I have good antennas), Locast offers viewers a reduced quality local broadcast content for anyone in the antenna coverage area who doesn't know how or is not capable of installing an antenna. So it increases the amount of broadcast viewers.

The towers are being upgraded to ATSC 3.0 transmission for a reason and I don't think it's to shut them down but who know what the future will bring. Now where did I park my flying car?