How To Enable Remote Access to 2 Servers, Each w/Their Own Plus Account

I have 2 servers, each with their own Plus Account (you need a 2nd Plus account to enable the 2nd server to be accessible remotely).

My Netgear router will NOT allow two settings with external port :8089.
Therefore I have set my Netgear router as follows:

•     External Port    Internal Port     IP Address

•          8089            8089     192.168.0.118 (Nvidia Shield)

•          8088            8089     192.168.0.149 (Win 10)

Do I need to get a custom port set aka :8088 for my .149 (Win 10) server?

OR is there another way to access the .149 server from the Channels client on my Android smartphone?

You would need to email support with the account details and the port you want to use. We can set it on the account for you.

Super thanks, will do! And truly appreciate the fast response :slight_smile:

BTW: I would assume a good subset of multiple Channel Servers in their home also have the need for remote access to those servers.

Your website covers the details of needing additional Plus accounts for this use case, BUT there is nothing on the website indicating how to access multiple Plus accounts in a home remote.

The plan is to make it self-service so you can set the port (and IP) via the dvr settings. But we haven't gotten there yet.

3 Likes

It would be great to have the option of running the DVR behind a reverse proxy, Plex has an option to publish your own url to for their auth servers...

One less port open in the firewall (or multiple in this case). Just a "nice to have" power user feature.

1 Like

@tmm1 Is that self-service config something that is coming soon. I know I want to keep playing with different server setups but feel bad constantly annoying you :slight_smile:

If it was more annoying doing it manually, than doing the work to make it self service, we’d of done it already. :joy:

2 Likes

I 2 DVR servers & would like to change the port on one of them to 8088. Is this possible?

This is answered in the second post.

That is by account & I need it different on each server

You need a separate account for each server. Email support with the account info for the server you wish to have the port changed.

Remote access is only available for one server per account.

(I assumed you had 2 separate accounts, since that is what this thread is specifically about.)

I have a reverse proxy in front of everything that listens on a few different ports and then proxies back to the docker container on each different port. It would be similar to do with different server IPs on the default port. I have a domain with a LetsEncrypt cert to enable TLS access and my router does NAT hairpin so local traffic stays local.

Is this still something on the horizon?

You can email support to change the port on a subscription

1 Like

Yea I saw that mentioned in earlier posts but doesn't really help my situation.

I run Channels behind a VPN connection and the VPN port forwarding changes on reconnect.
The way I have everything setup, is to read and change the new port in docker for any connections using the VPN container once the VPN port changes.