How to implement Apple TV home/tv button. Sofabaton vs channel master

Maybe a separate thread, entitled "ChannelMaster <whatever> Remote," where all the wonders of this remote could be discussed, would be better than a thread entitled "Sofabaton?"

Just sayin'...

And maybe @tmm1 or @maddox could move the CM-specific content out of this thread into that thread?

good suggestion jseymour,

But I decided to change the title of this thread for obvious reasons. It has evolved, but there are useful tidbits here that should not be separated. The crux of the matter is how to get the Apple TV ā€œhome/tvā€ button working with as few remotes as possible, preferably using our existing IR devices. Of course bluetooth enabled devices (ie sofabaton) are great if you have them. I just happen, like Iā€™m sure many others) have several harmony 650 series remotes and would like to keep using them. It seems a shame to have to purchase a channel master remote, and learn the magic IR code into an existing 650, and then put the channel master into a drawer ( or maybe return it to xmyxon). It also is a shame that Apple just canā€™t expose that button in their learning menu page right on the Apple TV settings under ā€œother remotesā€, and then ANY IR remote could operate the Apple TV ā€œhome/tvā€ button. One person called one of my my comments a rant. If it offends someone that many of us are sick of drawers of obsolete dongles from Apple, obsolete remotes from tv manufacturers and basement and attics with electronic junk waste than fine, call it a rant , but please be respectful and kind. We only want to share knowledge here and make the world a better less wasteful place.

That works, too :slight_smile:

BTDT. Only, in our case, it's Home Theater Master MX-500 remotes. But they're slowly dying, one-by-one. It's time to move on. Thus: Sofabaton. (Your Harmony remotes are a lot newer, though.)

BTDT, too. Twice.

That didn't make sense to me, either.

Another approach which could work is if Apple would expose via Siri Shortcuts a ā€œdouble clickā€ tv button and long press tv button, to invoke the app switcher or control panel. Then you could do it using a Siri voice command.

Already have a shortcut I use all the time for toggling close caption on channels. Works awesome.

Did you ever get the Channel Master remote? Did it have that "TV" button command as others have mentioned? I would hate to buy it just for that, but if it actually worked, I'd try it!

Follow this thread. Itā€™s an interesting read.