How to include a custom M3U8 and EPG

HI there,

I was not interested in joining Channels DVR but am giving it a second chance ( i am with stremium at the moemnt primarily due to its ease of use).

I guess the deciding factor for me to continue with the Channels DVR is the custom M3u8 and EPG which is appealing. Unfortunately, i have tried to get this to work (based on the discussions on the site) but i have not been successful. I hope some one can "dumb down" the way to add a custom channel but equally important the EPG XMLtv.

So to advise what i have done so far:

1. I activated locast - and it works perfectly and no problems with this.
  2. I then inserted my custom m3u8 link (of another USA channel), and, inserted as a new source. But it does not play.
  3. I then searched online for the corresponding XMLtv file that matched the format as indicated for XMLtv. But that did not work either. FYI i used Webgrab for the epg data.

** can someone explain what i am doing wrong regarding the m3u8 , and , the XMLtv not working as the epg. I apologise i am a novice and if you have a simple examples or explanations i would appreciate it.

1 Like

Here's full documentation of how it works:

1 Like

If you have a US channel that's in typical lineups, you can skip providing XMLTV for it, and just map your custom channel to a real one. Channels DVR Server will then set up guide data for you.

Choose Manage Lineup on your source in the Sources section. Find the channel and click the + button to search and map a channel to it.

Once you do this, do a full guide update to force an update to fetch guide data for the channel.

1 Like

Thank you Maddox. I appreciate it

Can someone help me convert a m3u8 to something I can use for a custom channel? The m3u8 works in VLC, but it does not work when I use that in ChannelsDVR.

You’ll need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

I have a m3u8 file, which I downloaded from an active DwellingsTV account using Sniffer. How do I get these stations into ChannelsDVR?

1 Like

An m3u8 needs to be in an m3u to function. In Channels, you can reference an m3u as a URL, a local file, or text directly. Without any particular details about your situation, I would say the text method is your best option. Here is an example where I use an m3u8 in just such a way:

Be sure you put #EXTM3U at the beginning so it ends up looking something like this:

2 Likes

I have a m3u8 link. How do I convert that to the format I need to have a custom channel? Where do I get the information for those other fields? When I use the EXTINF w/ the m3u8 link at the end, it doesn't work.

Assuming this m3u8 is valid, always updating, and not saddled with copyright protection/DRM, of course?

Then this page explains how to format the M3U:

Check out the example included, and extrapolate from there.