How to not repeat content until everything is played?

I've set up a few virtual channels, most notably a couple "All my movies" channels. It plays anything with the category of "movies" randomly. The issue here is that it repeats itself quite a bit. I have over 400 movies (they show up in the list when I edit the virtual channel) yet it seems to repeat a few movies over and over again. Is there a setting somewhere that would play all the movies in a random order, not repeating until all movies have been played? I have the same issue with tv shows and I assume that if such a setting existed, it could work for each channel.

2 Likes

A "watch 'em all randomly before repeating any" option would be great -- +1 from me. And, at the risk of repeating myself :wink: -- throw another +1 on there.

There's no setting for this because it's not supposed to be repeating.

We would need to see examples and diagnostics of what's happening because the code is not setup in a way that could be allowing repeats.

Do you maybe have multiple copies of the same movie?

Is that true of TV series as well? I have several virtuals of 500 episodes or more where I've seen some half-a-dozen times, while others still seem to be rotating through for the first time.

If an episode appears in the guide, but isn't watched, does that count as a virtual "airing"?

1 Like

Yes.

That would explain it. So, maybe the revised request would be an option to not repeat any until all have been watched?

Realizing of course, that at some point only a single episode would appear in the guide 24x7, until somebody watched it... hmm... both +1s withdrawn.

While you can use the "Watched" status when creating a virtual channel, I do not believe that the status is updated when played in a virtual channel.

1 Like

I think I'll try creating an "alternate" virtual channel with exactly the same content. That way if I hit an episode I feel like I've seen too recently I can just change to the alternate.

Not sure why I get such a kick out of the whole virtual channel thing -- but I do... :slight_smile:

Wondering if using smart rules in Library Collections or Virtual Channels could be the cause.
It may cause the collection/channel to change dynamically.