How to prevent a channel from recording?

I created a pass for a show that is available, turns out it’s available on two different channels, one that has poor reception. I unfavorited that one, and favorited the good channel, but the shows always record from the non-favorite channel... Looking at the scheduled recordings show them all from the non-favorite channel.

So I “hid” that channel, but shows were still scheduled to record from it, even after deleting the pass and re-adding it. I did this on the iOS Channels DVR app.

So I checked the server... That channel was NOT hidden. So I hid it on the server, but the show was still scheduled to record on that poor reception channel.

So I checked the AppleTV. That channel was NOT hidden. I hid it, but the show was still scheduled to record on that poor reception channel.

I’m wondering what is going on.. Why aren’t these device settings syncing?

Bottom line: I do not want that channel to record anything, ever. How can I accomplish this?

Any channel favorited on the DVR will be preferred for recordings.

Any channel hidden on the DVR will never be used for recordings.

The Apple TV and iOS apps currently do not sync favs/hide to the DVR. This was meant to allow different TVs to have different favorites, but we know it's confusing and are working on improvements.

The schedule currently doesn't auto-refresh after you hide a channel which is why it still shows the hidden channel. Click the circle refresh icon under your HDHR on the DVR web UI to force a guide refresh and schedule refresh.

Thank you. That helps make sense of it.

I found that even though I had the shows set to record ALL episodes, not just new, they weren’t appearing in the schedule. But they appeared at the RULE screen where you can force a channel (said “2 airings” etc.)

I also found that they were all marked “Recorded” and again, did not appear in the schedule, which didn’t seem right, as they should record regardless per my settings to record all episodes.

In DVR Passes > (downarrow next to each show) > Find Airings, I changed each from “Recorded” to “Queued,” then deleted and re-created the Pass. This finally made them appear properly in the schedule.

The DVR will never record the same episode more than once.

You can edit a pass on the DVR web UI and enable "re-record deleted" which will record an episode again if you had previously recorded and then deleted it.

Oh.. Now I’m confused about the difference between “New Episodes” and “All Episodes” Is a re-run considered a different episode?

I selected All Episodes for the passes so I could get any bad reception shows recorded again on a local channel. (I have now forced the channel). I’ll try the checkbox for re-record deleted.

Thanks.

Ah, I've been meaning to add a "delete and re-record" for bad recordings. What you did before was fine too- as long as things show up on the schedule they will record.

New episodes = airing for the first time

All episodes = all episodes including re-runs, as long as they haven't been recorded already

1 Like