How to properly shutdown channels-dvr on MacOS

I have reason to believe the channesl-dvr server may be interfering with my shutdown process on my Mac (since installing it, the Mac hangs during shutdown).

Is there a sanctioned way to shutdown the channels-dvr server (via the command line?)? I can't kill the process via the command line since it seems to be set to keepalive (automatically respawning when killed).

Use launchctl. sudo launchctl list ought to get you a list of everything launchd knows about, then use sudo launchctl start|stop|restart … with the job_label that the DVR service has.

(Of course, that's assuming the macOS version of the server is managed by launchd—and if it isn't, why not?)

Yeah, not sure this is a valid assumption. When I did this, I see a whole bunch of processes, but I can't find one that is for channels-dvr.

launchctl stop com.getchannels.dvr

1 Like

Ah, turns out it was run in the User space and NOT in the root space, so no sudo needed, just need to run launchctl list and then launchctl start|stop|restart com.getchannels.dvr to handle it, thanks!

1 Like

Would be interested to know if manually stopping the DVR lets your computer shutdown. I don't think our DVR would be causing the behavior you're describing.

And you are indeed correct, shutting down channels-dvr before attempting the restart did not mitigate the "hang on restart/shutdown" that I have been getting. It must have been coincidence that the problem started manifesting around the time of my purchasing channels-dvr.

1 Like