How to record same show from two different sources?

I am having some issues with Locast with recording the video and not the audio. It has happened on more than one occasion. I do have the same station via my TVE login with Xfinity. What I want to be able to do is have this show record on both Locast and TVE. Is there a way to do that? I tried advanced pass with the following as an example:
Locast AdvancedPass
Name: College Football Scoreboard (ABC-5902)
Padding: None
Keep: All
Condition: Channel == 5902 and Title == College Football Scoreboard
TVE Advanced Pass
Name: College Football Scoreboard (ABC-6001)
Padding: None
Keep: All
Condition: Channel == 6001 and Title == College Football Scoreboard

When I do this, it only schedules the one on the Locast source, which I do have as higher priority over the Xfinity TVE source.

I would have thought that have this set this way would record both, but it won't.

Any ideas on how to do this, if it is possible?
Thanks!

Not with passes. It will see the same program has been set to record and only choose one.

What you need to do is manually select the program to record from the guide (preferably on the DVR's web UI), which then schedules a one-time recording, which overrides duplicate-checking that passes do.

I just tried what you said and it does the same thing as with passes. I deleted my passes, when to the guide and manually set channel 5902 to record. Channel 6001 then automatically shows it to record, even though I didn't manually do that yet. Due to that, it says it is already queued and I can't set it to record on the 6001.
I really wouldn't want to have to do that manually every time anyway, but I wanted to try it to see if it would work. I would have thought if someone would have created advanced passes that the DVR would respect that even though it is recording the same show at the same time but from two difference sources.
Thanks for your help though

I suppose part of the issue is because it's at the same time slot.

If you're up for a little more work, you can manually create a recording rule based on the channel, start time, and duration.

Thanks for the info but I don't think I want to do the manual recording option. Honestly, I can't believe that this is not possible natively using the advanced pass conditions. I do want to record the same show at the same time on difference sources just in case one flakes out. Maybe someone else can give some ideas.
Thanks!

For a Series Episode or Special, Channels DVR will not record the same Episode or Special more than once. It sees yours on both channels, but they have the same internal id (ProgramID), so Channels knows they're the same episode.

If anyone decides to try this, beware that if the two recordings are the same Title and are airing at the same Time you need to change the Title or Time in your manual recording job, otherwise both recordings get written to the same file

1 Like

It's possible to do (I currently do it), but you have to setup another Channels DVR server.
One uses only Locast, the other uses your TVE/OTA/Cable.
I have TVE on one and CABLE on the other.

I don't know of any other way to do it currently using Advanced passes.

New topic for: Running two Channels DVR Servers

In the latest DVR build, the web UI now will let you forcibly record the "same" episode on a different channel or time.

The web UI guide and apps' guides will get a little confused and not show both episodes as scheduled, but if you look at the actual DVR Schedule they will both be listed.

This bug has also been fixed so you can record the same thing on two channels at the same time and end up with two different recording files.

4 Likes

Does this mean you can have two different tuners record the same show at the same time? I already have a 4 tuner OTA HDHomerun, I'm getting the 4k tuner as well. I'd like to have some shows record simultaneously on both the ATSC 3.0 device and the old ATSC 1.0 device. That way if the ATSC 3.0 signal or recording is messed up, I still have the ATSC 1.0 recording to fall back to.

Only if they're on two different streams. If one is on the ATSC 1 channel, and the second is on an ATSC 3.0 channel, yes.

If they are the same frequency/channel, but on two separate physical tuners, no.

Can't seem to get this to work. Set up two advanced passes with only the channel being different and it does not record the second pass. Two sources are OTA and Locast. Is there a specific way to do this?

There is not a way to do this with passes. The only change made was now you can schedule them manually and it works instead of acting like its going to work and only recording once.

1 Like

any there any plans to change this limitation?

It seems like a good feature to have as I am sure there will be many ATSC 3 growing pains for a long time across markets. It seems like a good fallback feature to have.

Can you describe how to do this? The only options I can get are "Delete" and "Edit", or "Cancel job" and "View job". (2021.06.17.1801)

Channels ESPN and ESPN2 are showing "Wimbledon Round of 16" at overlapping times on Monday, apparently with the same program ID, even though there will be different matches on each channel. I would like to record both programs.

Also, it would be helpful if the interface differentiated between ["Queued" - this instance will record] and ["Queued" - a program with the same ID will record but not this instance].

Glad I saw this. Going to record Ohio State tonight in ATSC 3.0 and going to also record the 1.0 version for audio. Going to do this for NFL games I want to keep when the Browns play.