Running two Channels DVR Servers

Thanks for that information.
How do I setup another Channels DVR server?
I currently have mine on a dedicated Windows 10 desktop computer that I have all my media files on.
Can I have more than one Channels DVR server on that machine?
I also access Channels via its client app for my ShieldTV boxes, how do I access the recorded content on the 2nd server?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I've split this off to a new topic. Running two Channels DVR Servers

Same way you setup the first one

Not sure, I use two Synology NAS's.

You would have to select the DVR from the client device (i.e. switch back and forth between them). Or you could setup Imported TV and Movies on your WIN-10 DVR and point them to the recorded TV and Movies on your second DVR.

A couple things to note about using two DVR's

1. If your second DVR comskips its recordings you need to access it with your client to take advantage of commercial skipping, or manualy re-comskip them on your primary DVR if you imported them.
  2. A client device will see all HDHR tuners on the local network, so even if you connect to a DVR that only has Locast or TVE, your HDHR tuners will still appear in the guide on the client.
1 Like

I can't see how to set up another instance of the Channels DVR on the same physical machine. So, I guess I would have to have another physical computer to install it on then, or possibly a virtual machine on the same computer.

If I point both servers to the same recording directory, couldn't I see all recordings on either server I select on the client side?

Not sure what I will do but I do appreciated the information.

Thanks!

You would have to use some type of virtualization to have two instances of Channels DVR on the same machine.

Pointing both servers to the same directory will not work and may cause issues. Meta data about the recordings are stored in a database unique to each instance.

1 Like

That is what I was figuring. Would the following work:
Server 1 is recording to Recordings 1 folder,
Server 2 is recording to Recordings 2 folder,
Server 1 then points to the Recordings 2 folder as one of its "Local Content" folders for "TV Sources".

Would I then be able to see Server 2 recordings in Server 1's imported TV Shows?

Thanks for your help!

I have 2 DVR's running one is setup with the tuners and the 2nd is Setup with M3U from the first DVR and the tuners ... that way they can share a tuner if recording or watching the same channel. The M3U on the 2nd DVR has the highest Priority.. on the 2nd DVR the M3U channels are all favored.

I also have EMBY running with M3U from Channels DVR # 1 .. They can all Share tuner streams.

1 Like

Yes, that would work.

Example (Assuming both DVR's are recording to your WIN-10 PC);
Setup first DVR to use
C:\Recordings\DVR1\
Setup second DVR to use
C:\Recordings\DVR2\

Point your first DVR Local Content Import sources to
Movie Sources
C:\Recordings\DVR2\Movies
TV Sources
C:\Recordings\DVR2\TV

Just remember if your DVR2 comskips recordings, your DVR1 wont use the commercial marks and you'll have to comskip each import DVR1 does from DVR2.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Makes sense. Not sure if I like the idea of running two servers though, but since it won't allow me to record the same show from 2 different sources, I may have too. At least until I can confirm I have a stable option for the few channels I can't get via TVE.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I've been trying to record two same name/different channel shows (both shows occur at the same time). My reasoning is similar to yours in that the channels are in different metro areas and one may be flakey. I am running the server on a Raspberry PI boot image so I have no way of setting up two servers on the RPi.

Just tried setting up recording the show on the first channel using the UI. Modified start and stop times by ten seconds but I don't know that is necessary.

Then I tried setting up a PASS recording of the other channel show (same show, original start/stop times) .

Both recordings show up (as highlighted) on the UI and appear in the web UI as being upcoming recordings (along with all the other future occurrences of the Pass show). I'll need to cancel those future PASS recordings.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the show time comes around (noon). Next I'll try this with two PASS recordings and see if that works.

Just realized the titles differed, that's why both shows are scheduled to record. This won't work.