How to record same show, two different channels

What I have possibly discovered. If I use one of the apps to schedule as needed the CBSN recording, it will work ok. Maybe. I can’t record both. But I really only need CBSN as the weather denotes.

There are two ways I can think of to accomplish what you want.

Setup two identical passes to record CBS This Morning.
Change one to record from your CBS channel and the other to record from your CBSN channel.
This will only record the first showing of the episode each weekday from the channel that airs it first.
If your HDHR tuner's antenna is disconnected, it should at least record the CBSN airing from TVE.

Another way to record both airings on both channels is to add another Channels DVR Server (another PC, RPi or Docker) and use it for TVE only.
This way your existing Channels DVR server can use only your HDHR tuner as a source and the new one uses only TVE as a source.
I currently do this using two NAS's, one for my HDHR Prime, the other for TVE.
I also set local import paths for TV and Movies on my HDHR server to point to the recording directories of the TVE server to import anything recorded there.

It won't let me set two identical passes for the same show. I didn't think of disconnecting my HDHR tuners. I tried that, it seemed to work. However I can't figure out how to record from OTA, and TVE selectively or at the same time.

You can do it from the web UI.
Find your existing pass and click the dropdown on the far right, selecting Advanced.
Using what appears as an example, create a new advanced pass using the gear dropdown on the far upper right of the Passes tab to select New Advanced Pass
Now fill in the info same as your existing pass, but add Channel == your CBS or CBSN channel#

You're using TVE for them both. Maybe that's why it will let you. I'm using TVE and OTA. Sadly my TVE (Spectrum) subscription doesn't offer CBS, or ABC.

Use your OTA HDHR tuner channel# for CBS then.
You didn't mention what channel# your OTA CBS is, but if 11.1, then add Channel == 11.1

It adds it. But doesn't seem to schedule. Just shows "Job not found".

More strange. I did the EXACT same for CBS Sunday Morning. Using CBSN (6766), and it scheduled just fine.

OTA is 5.1 or 5.11 WTVF

It's scheduled. That error has been normal since a certain release a long time ago.
Look in your DVR>Schedule tab.

If it shows this it's scheduled from a pass.
Screenshot_2021-05-20 Channels Schedule
This means it was individually selected to record from the guide.
Screenshot_2021-05-20 Channels Picked

Doesn't show up in my Scheduler at all. Only the 505.1 (The custom tuner m3u) CBS. The CBSN one is totally missing. I double checked the custom pass too. It seems right. Here it is. It's now doing the same with CBS Sunday Morning. I have no idea what to do. It's like I have to either manually choose one or the other, or go without. It will not accept TVE, and OTA.

Do you have another pass set to record CBS This Morning from your OTA channel?
If so, Channels DVR will only record an episode once from one of the sources based on recording priority.

See my earlier post

I have 1 OTA, and 1 TVE entry for the same show. For Sunday morning show CBSN says "CBS News Sunday Morning". Where CBS OTA says "CBS Sunday Morning". For "This Morning", it's the same name, different sources.

Show your advanced passes. Channels DVR uses SeriesID's and tms ProgramID's, not Title unless your pass specifies Title instead of SeriesID

I had it set up with SeriesIDs as well. But it didn't work. I've tried it both ways.

Sorry, had to cut & run.

Sounds like you're trying to record the same exact series on both CBS and CBSN.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Channels DVR will only record an episode once.
It will record from the channel that airs it earliest.
If both channels air the same episode at the same time, then it records based on its recording rules, where favorite channels and tuner priority come into play.
See this support article https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/faqs/channels-plus/#how-does-the-dvr-pick-which-tuner-to-use-to-make-a-recording

To get Channels DVR to record the same episode from both channels, you either have to manually select one of the two episodes or use two instances of Channels DVR (one with HDHR OTA source and one with TVE source). And either or both of them could be running in a Docker container on the same server.

I'm running an experiment to record the same episodes at different times of the day on the same channel because I'm trying to get good recordings of all episodes of a series marathon being aired.

I wasn't even able to schedule the same show pass across a custom M3U link as well. Good luck.

It's working for me. I'm running two instances of Channels DVR.
#1-On my NAS with Xfinity-TVE source
#2-Channels Docker container running on same NAS using Custom Channels m3u to point to #1 as a source

Ah. I am running the server in Windows. I do have a docker instance setup on my Linux machine. I'll be the first to say I am very bad at using Linux and most cmd line functions. Great job. :slight_smile:

Dumb idea, but can you set one of the passes to be the show just before the show you actually want to record, and then extend the timer to record longer, thus capturing the show you really want to record?

1 Like