How to record same show, two different channels

I am having major difficulty setting a series pass to record CBS This Morning. I can set it. But there are days when I have to disconnect my antenna due to weather, and so I want to schedule from CBSN instead. I can't seem to even manually record one at a time with it that way. The guide sees ALL instances and won't let me choose what channel for each day. Is there a way I can just record BOTH airings each day from CBS, and CBSN?

I think you will have to set passes for each channel separately. Be sure that the channel has the channel number inputted and not the default "any".

It won’t let me set a pass for the same show twice. Both have the same show name. But different channels and durations. I just want to record both each day, but I can’t find a way.

Sorry I tried too. I thought they had fixed this so it is possible to record same show on mulitiple channels. I search and get back with you.

1 Like

its not a solution but a work around. Its not possible to record the same show title. The forum asking about sports channel but its the same issue you are asking about.

You can set a manual one-off recording for a program that has already been recorded. However, you cannot have a pass that matches a previously recorded program.

Is there an easy way to swap between channels it chooses to record from? Like a day or two it storms, I can switch to CBSN, then rest of the time CBS proper?

May I ask, why do you have to disconnect your antenna in bad weather. If its properly grounded you don't need to disconnect it. Is it possible to place it in your attic.

You can go to your series passes and edit the series pass and change the channel number. But I don't see how you can do this automatically. Unfortunately Channels DVR is not 100% like a Tivo or Cable DVR but there are some work arounds. Maybe this will be an option you can deal with.

Set CBS as the primary/preferred source—whether by marking the OTA CBS as a favorite, or putting the OTA tuner higher up in the DVR's priority list—and keep your pass as normal. This way, the DVR will try to record from your OTA CBS first, and if it cannot get a stream, then it will defer to the next time that program records, presumably on the TV Everywhere stream of CBSN.

(If the CBSN version of the program does not get marked as "New", then make sure your pass is set up to record all episodes, otherwise the second broadcast on CBSN will be skipped, because it won't be marked as new, I believe.)

1 Like

I can’t ground the coax. I have too much fringe signal loss to do so. I just disconnect it when the weather gets very bad.

What I have possibly discovered. If I use one of the apps to schedule as needed the CBSN recording, it will work ok. Maybe. I can’t record both. But I really only need CBSN as the weather denotes.

There are two ways I can think of to accomplish what you want.

Setup two identical passes to record CBS This Morning.
Change one to record from your CBS channel and the other to record from your CBSN channel.
This will only record the first showing of the episode each weekday from the channel that airs it first.
If your HDHR tuner's antenna is disconnected, it should at least record the CBSN airing from TVE.

Another way to record both airings on both channels is to add another Channels DVR Server (another PC, RPi or Docker) and use it for TVE only.
This way your existing Channels DVR server can use only your HDHR tuner as a source and the new one uses only TVE as a source.
I currently do this using two NAS's, one for my HDHR Prime, the other for TVE.
I also set local import paths for TV and Movies on my HDHR server to point to the recording directories of the TVE server to import anything recorded there.

It won't let me set two identical passes for the same show. I didn't think of disconnecting my HDHR tuners. I tried that, it seemed to work. However I can't figure out how to record from OTA, and TVE selectively or at the same time.

You can do it from the web UI.
Find your existing pass and click the dropdown on the far right, selecting Advanced.
Using what appears as an example, create a new advanced pass using the gear dropdown on the far upper right of the Passes tab to select New Advanced Pass
Now fill in the info same as your existing pass, but add Channel == your CBS or CBSN channel#

You're using TVE for them both. Maybe that's why it will let you. I'm using TVE and OTA. Sadly my TVE (Spectrum) subscription doesn't offer CBS, or ABC.

Use your OTA HDHR tuner channel# for CBS then.
You didn't mention what channel# your OTA CBS is, but if 11.1, then add Channel == 11.1

It adds it. But doesn't seem to schedule. Just shows "Job not found".

More strange. I did the EXACT same for CBS Sunday Morning. Using CBSN (6766), and it scheduled just fine.

OTA is 5.1 or 5.11 WTVF

It's scheduled. That error has been normal since a certain release a long time ago.
Look in your DVR>Schedule tab.

If it shows this it's scheduled from a pass.
Screenshot_2021-05-20 Channels Schedule
This means it was individually selected to record from the guide.
Screenshot_2021-05-20 Channels Picked