How to record same show, two different channels

Doesn't show up in my Scheduler at all. Only the 505.1 (The custom tuner m3u) CBS. The CBSN one is totally missing. I double checked the custom pass too. It seems right. Here it is. It's now doing the same with CBS Sunday Morning. I have no idea what to do. It's like I have to either manually choose one or the other, or go without. It will not accept TVE, and OTA.

Do you have another pass set to record CBS This Morning from your OTA channel?
If so, Channels DVR will only record an episode once from one of the sources based on recording priority.

See my earlier post

I have 1 OTA, and 1 TVE entry for the same show. For Sunday morning show CBSN says "CBS News Sunday Morning". Where CBS OTA says "CBS Sunday Morning". For "This Morning", it's the same name, different sources.

Show your advanced passes. Channels DVR uses SeriesID's and tms ProgramID's, not Title unless your pass specifies Title instead of SeriesID

I had it set up with SeriesIDs as well. But it didn't work. I've tried it both ways.

Sorry, had to cut & run.

Sounds like you're trying to record the same exact series on both CBS and CBSN.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Channels DVR will only record an episode once.
It will record from the channel that airs it earliest.
If both channels air the same episode at the same time, then it records based on its recording rules, where favorite channels and tuner priority come into play.
See this support article https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/faqs/channels-plus/#how-does-the-dvr-pick-which-tuner-to-use-to-make-a-recording

To get Channels DVR to record the same episode from both channels, you either have to manually select one of the two episodes or use two instances of Channels DVR (one with HDHR OTA source and one with TVE source). And either or both of them could be running in a Docker container on the same server.

I'm running an experiment to record the same episodes at different times of the day on the same channel because I'm trying to get good recordings of all episodes of a series marathon being aired.

I wasn't even able to schedule the same show pass across a custom M3U link as well. Good luck.

It's working for me. I'm running two instances of Channels DVR.
#1-On my NAS with Xfinity-TVE source
#2-Channels Docker container running on same NAS using Custom Channels m3u to point to #1 as a source

Ah. I am running the server in Windows. I do have a docker instance setup on my Linux machine. I'll be the first to say I am very bad at using Linux and most cmd line functions. Great job. :slight_smile:

Dumb idea, but can you set one of the passes to be the show just before the show you actually want to record, and then extend the timer to record longer, thus capturing the show you really want to record?

1 Like