Howto guides?

I'm wondering if there are Howto guides on some of the common features rather than hoping that a forum search hopefully turns something up.

The reason I ask is that there was an excellent guide on how to install the Channels DVR on a RPi, and another excellent guide on getting Pluto to work with the new m3u, but I'm trying to figure out something simple like syncing favorites across platforms and I swear I saw this before, but can't for the life of me find it back and I've been slogging through forum posts from 2018 where the feature is being discussed to try and find a mention of a howto on actually how to do it. It would be really handy.

If this exists and someone can point me to it, that would be awesome! Thanks!

There are. Check out Channels' web site:

1 Like

That's excellent thanks!!

Calling that "something simple" is probably bad expectation setting. Syncing favorites is not simple on Channels DVR and a bit of a mess. The devs have said its on the agenda for priority in 2021 to fix. My understanding is there really isn't any good way to do it. What I did was got one streaming device setup the way I wanted it, and then wrote it down on a piece of paper, and then went around to every other device and manually set it up. That was fine until I added Pluto had some channels change on other services, and I just basically gave up at this point. The combination of picking favorites or blocking channels by sources at the server, then in settings, then in On Now favorite selection... if you have a variety of sources, 2 HDHRs, etc... its a hot mess to deal with. They have said they are going to fix it, and if they do then it will solve the biggest problem I have with Channels. In the mean time, a paper and pencil and a few spare hours on a Sunday afternoon is the way I'm doing it.

That's a really good point. I stated that very poorly. I was meaning to say that I thought I had seen this feature before in Channels and it was easy to do, but I think I was misremembering, which also probably why I was having such a hard time finding it back :slight_smile: Really good feedback, thanks!

One workaround you can do for now if you use Apple based clients is to set your favorites as you wish on the DVR web ui. The favorites are synced the very first time the app is run on any client, so if you delete and re-install on your client device it will pull the favorites (one time).

1 Like

You're 100% spot on. This was what I had seen and couldn't find back. I can set the favorites on the Channels DVR web ui and then when I was on the iOS app, there was an options to sync to or from the server. Thanks!!