I have tvOS 18 but my app version is 5.8.x

My Apple TV OS is 18 but the Channels APP is still 5.x not 6.0

That just means your device has not updated it yet. We use a rolling release cycle across 7 days for releases. Not everyone gets auto updated at the same time.

If you would like to get the latest release, visit the App Store on your device and search for Channels and update it manually.

Major snag. I offloaded the Channels APP and went to the APP store...there were two choices and one said it was $25 and I took the other one.

When I ran the APP it came up with the Guide - but the left most menu with SETTINGS, etc was gone. If I played something in the guide, my one choice with the new Personal Section showed up for maybe 1 second and then it was gone.

I suspect I may have to delete the APP and not just offload it but also kill the data?

I now see that. I didn't see any of my collections and couldn't get to SETTINGS. But when I deleted Channels and the data.....I strarted the app and it went straight to Settings.

I am now adding Sidebar navigation but there is no ability to add collections as a sidebar choice. I am currently reseting my Apple TV which I didn't want to do because I lose the passwords for all apps.

Library Collections is in fact an option for the sidebar navigation. You might want to check the settings again under Settings > General > Manage Navigation.

You can learn more about customizing the sidebar in our documentation: Channels Support - Customize Sidebar

I would definitely suggest against resetting your Apple TV as there's no way that will resolve whatever issue you're running into with Channels.

I had something similar when Iā€™d upgraded the Server and then the app on the AppleTV. At first, the only entry in the sidebar on the AppleTV was Settings. I then tried to delete and re-install the app and this time I got the entries in the sidebar as expected. Some worked fine - Up Next, Recordings, for example, but Live TV and the Guide had a weird set of channels in an unexpected order.

This was whilst the app on the iPad showed everything as expected via the ā€˜newā€ sidebar. I played around with server side settings on the DVR to reflect the new way of specifying the entries in the sidebar, and the iPad reflected that, but on the AppleTV, the Guide now just showed a screen saying no SD channels - and something like ā€˜retune tuner in Settingsā€™. I did, but nothing changed.

Time for bed - and more thought. In the morning? Everything on the AppleTV just fine. One of lifeā€™s mysteries.

I did do a reset and it seemed to clear everything up. Now it works fine.

I have three more Apple TVs to set up now.

A lot changed and it caught me unaware....I think I fixed everything now on my main ATV

However, I have other Apple TVs and I just checked one of them in my office. The TVOS updated to 18 automatically but the Channels App is still 5.x and is unusable.....it has only search and settings as option in the left most menu. I have it as server controlled and my server is 6.0

I have two more Apple TVs and I'll check them later.

1 Like

Did you just try force quitting the app? To have it start fresh again.

Iā€™m very curious about what youā€™re describing, though Iā€™m still not very clear on it.

From the parts I can understand, this is very unexpected behavior, and hasnā€™t been reported before.

Submitting diagnostics might help us see what could be causing it it.

I tried force quitting but the same thing happens.

I sent diagnostics just now from a TV and from the server ( 25e814d5-958f-469f-98a0-2f33ffed7621)

Here's what I see when Channels starts and the server page.

tl;dr: you have turned off and hidden all of your sections for your Sidebar navigation.

The first thing I can see, is that you are not running the latest version of the app, version 6.0.1. You won't be able to utilize the new Sidebar Navigation setting or Personal Sections without it. These did not exist when 5.9.1 was released, you have to use > 6.0.0.

Secondly, your Global server side settings have all of your sections turned off.

Explanation

So, you've basically turned off all of the sections in your sidebar.

You're running a version that doesn't support the new way to manage the sidebar navigation, and have told the existing version to hide all of your items on the navigation sidebar.

Your Action

Update to the latest version, 6.0.1, and utilize the new Sidebar Navigation server side setting, or turn your sections back on with the old General > Manage Navigation settings.