I think I'm out of luck to use Channels?

I do not even notice the ADs anymore just go to what I need. I like the Idea of Profiles. Ads are part of life that is how they offer free content ... like IMDB livetv etc..

Grab a tivo stream 4k even.

I tried a FireTV years ago and couldn't stand the interface. It felt like I was getting dropped in a large department store in the lingerie section and I was shopping for power tools which was 2 floors down and on the other side of the store. Apple TV and Android TV are the two I prefer, but Android is a little more difficult to use and their is a top row of ads your really can't get rid of. Apple TV is the best performance and the cleanest interface. But the Apple TV remote is a love/hate thing with me. We use the cheap One for All Streamer remotes most of the time on the Apple TVs.

1 Like

I have had fire TV sticks and cubes in the past. I have since switched over to Apple TV’s. The interface is cleaner and easier to navigate. The remote is love/hate but once you get use to it you’ll forget about it. Apple TV’s are a bit more expensive but well worth it. Not only for channels but “up next” feature is a must for me. It even works with Live sports. If you are an IPhone user I would strongly recommend the Apple TV. The integration with other Apple product in the Apple ecosystem is amazing. Check out the links below.

1 Like

Its just sad that both a) Apple hasn't updated it in a very long time and b) the competition still isn't outperforming the very old Apple TV.

1 Like

:rofl:

Yes, the interface and, I might be a minority... I don't know, but I like the Siri Remote. The FireTV UI is way too advertisement driven, the remote buttons are stiffer than I care for. The Chromecast with Google TV remote needs a little better separation between the select button and the direction buttons surrounding it. I'm always hitting something I don't intend to.

and...

That might be true but I am sure there are a lot more Android users than AppleTV users .. so They really need to get the Android APP on Par with the Apple TV APP. To attract more Android users. The Android APP is lacking.

3 Likes

I hand Amazon fire stick and you tube tv is on mine.

I meant to say I have a fire stick and I run you tube tv on it. I also recently purchase nvidia shield and with channels dvr I am able to change channels with numbers on the harmony remote. I run the server on my Qnap nas.

1 Like

I love using the TiVo Stream 4K. I've de-TiVoed it and turned on the Channels button detection, so I still get the use of the great remote, but the Guide button pulls up Channels, etc.

Agree, it works pretty well. I still prefer the Apple TV version of Channels though.

2 Likes

Apple TV response is quick cleaner interface and no Ads is a plus for me. All my TVs except in the bedroom wich my wife uses mostly and she finds the Insignia Fire TV interface easier since it works with the OEM remote. I still have a Apple TV there but she does not use it. Best is guestroom Panasonic tv the remote work's real well for the Apple TV and Channels even the channel numbers can be typed in I never use the Apple TV remote for that one (I don't need Siri). 4 Apple TV's in total.

NVidia Sheild is fantastic, AppleTV also works. Channels is fantastic, no going back....!!!

1 Like

I've found the best way to use Channels is to load it to a Raspberry Pie computer. Why don't you try that?

Thanks, all, for the input here!

I've ordered an Apple TV; going to give that a try. (I have my server set up on an old Windows machine already.)

1 Like

There is a chance the new Apple TV may come out in a couple weeks...

Well I have a 30-day return option so if it does, hopefully it will be within the next 30 days!

1 Like

There has been a prediction that a new Apple TV is coming out in a couple of weeks for at least 2 years. I bought my last Apple TV 4K about 10 months ago and the same thing was being said. It will still work great even if a new one comes out.

2 Likes