I wish it would show Description for shows playing on time shift!

I'm kinda new user. Really loving the hell out of this system!! It's the perfect hybrid of HDHR and Tablo. The best of both made into one. I'm a HUUUUGE fan!
With that said.... After a month of daily using this DVR. The one little issue that annoys me most, is that when I watch TV on a time shift (which I always do), The quick guide would show the description for the show that's playing live. I wish it would instead show the description for the show currently playing! (I had it working that way with my HDHR through Kodi, with the Amber skin).
Anyone agree with me on this?

By quick guide you mean the swipe down guide?

The timeline that appears when you pause or hit up should show the current program.

The guide shows programs that are currently playing, the idea being if you selected something there, that's what would start playing. But I agree it could be a little confusing for the current channel.

Yes, I definitely agree with this. This is one of UX issues I have with Channels.

(The other is that I wish the timeline would instead be limited to the current program, instead of showing the entire buffer. As I write this. my timeline spans from 10:30 to present.)

Yes, the pull down quick guide.
And yes I know the bottom part shows the show name, that's good, but no show Description. It would awesome if clicking up once brings up the bottom box like now. Clicking up again would open an extension with the desription, clicking up again it all disappears like now.
That way that part could always show the description for what's playing, and the pull down quick guide always show what's playing live.
?

1 Like

Oh oh you mean the length of the buffer line showing should be by how long the show is. Ok ok. I didn't get what you meant at first.
Ya I agree that would be better. But it doesn't really bother me as is.
I'm just surprised cause I read here the buffer limits is like 90 minutes. I get over 12 hours of I have enough memory. Then it gets buggy at some point and I reset it

I am gonna +1 on this too. I understand the logic behind the current setup. But a lot of times I want to see the description of the show I am watching, often to get the season and episode numbers. Maybe there could be a double in the quick guide, the show you are currently watching and next to it for the current live show on the channel.

2 Likes

Correct. I believe this is the behavior in Kodi as well, IIRC. (It's also how DirecTV's timeline pop-up works, too.)

I'm not sure how that would work on Apple TV when using swipe to scrub the timeline. I guess you'd expect to swipe all the way to the left and have to let go, then swipe again to scrub the previous program?

Ah, I hadn't thought of how a swipe/scrub would work in a UX context.

Of course, is there a reason why the UI couldn't dynamically change when scrubbing, such that a swipe past the end would cause the content to change and the position of caret/indicator to automatically change to the beginning?

(When fast-forwarding on other DVRs, this is how I have experienced it.)

That is how it was with Kodi. It did show the buffer size of the show playing. It is the cleaner better way. For sure

1 Like

That's not a bad idea. Maybe it will offer a swipe menu to swipe right for current description, swipe left for live show description.

It would be very confusing I think. If you do a hard momentum swipe to the left, do you expect the UI to change multiple times and end up at the oldest program available? Pan and swipe is usually over a visible area.

Yes, this would be my expected experience.

Yes, that is true. Which is why Channels behaves as it currently does, I believe. However, I personally do not feel that there would be the cognitive dissonance with a "fling" as you do.

In any case, I am merely expressing my observations and how I would prefer things to work. Yet, I do completely understand why the current implementation works as it does. Neither is "right" nor "correct"; they are simply different approaches. Knowing why it works as it currently does makes it just a bit slightly less annoying. Thank you for the clarification, Aman.

(Now if you can fix the clipping of movie posters in the On Now page, I'll be happy. I know Gracenote generally has both landscape and poster images for both shows and movies ...)

1 Like

A similar item on my wish list would be to add information about which source the viewed channel or even recording came from.

For example, I have my Spectrum TVE and my Spectrum Cable Card/Homerun sources, plus Pluto and Plex and Stirr, etc… so when I see Mountain Men in my Guide on the History Channel, I’d like to know which source it’s coming from.

Perhaps when you go to options and choose “Show Stats”… it could display somewhere there

Or perhaps somewhere with the On Now shows

or perhaps somehow / somewhere with already Recorded Shows

or all of the above.

This would help when for example identifying when a source has the wrong channel info, which source its tied to it…

Anyone else see the value of this? If so, what others reasons do you think this might be helpful for.

Thanks!

1 Like

Any chance of this happening any time soon? Naaa, right?
I'm telling you. Please look into other systems, like HDHR on Kodi, etc etc. All work that way already. If you're watching something 3 hours behind live, the guide will show the current show desription, not what's on live. As the viewer, watching the show of 3 hours back, I have ZERO interests in the show description of the show that is currently live. I'm not watching that show. So what good does it do me?
The reason you stated for it being this way is to show what's on live to channel surfers looking what's on.
But if I'm currently already watching this current channel, just 3 hours behind live. Then the channel surfing doesn't matter for this channel, cause I'm already tuned to it anyway! Other channels I'd wanna see what's live, to consider if I wanna change
But for the current channel I'm already tuned to, I'd much rather see the show description for the show I'm watching.
Please seriously consider this..
I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it once it's like that.

Yes, this has been on my wishlist for awhile. Even if this info was only on the webUI, it would be very useful. Especially when assembling Channel collections. I have lots of sources with
duplicates of channels avaialable. So sometimes it can be confusing about which one to pick.

I don't see what this has to do with anything i posted here! I'd appreciate if you guys make a separate thread for these issues. Cause it seems like the issue i wanna talk about here, keeps getting lost between all these other issues.
Please let's keep it to the one issue i opened this thread for.
Thanks guys

2 Likes

This is the issue i opened this thread for! Please let's keep it to this issue! If you agree with me. Thanks, and please upvote/like it, or even write your opinion on it. But please let's keep it to this one issue, so maybe something will get done about it. Mixing in all your other issues isn't helping anyone here. Open a new thread for it please.
Let's keep this thread for the issue i opened it for.
Thanks

Okay this is a fair point.

I've updated the Quick Guide in the latest TestFlight beta for Apple TV with this change to try it out. If it works out then we'll add it to Android too.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh I got so excited reading this, then...... Apple TV comes up.
Daaaang why is Android so behind here? Gosh Apple TV is the one client I don't even have.
I sure would of loved to try it.
Hopefully it makes it to Android real soon

Edit: lol I just googled Apple TV and see what its all about. Thinking of buying one.
If only for Channels here to stop treating me like a second class citizen lol