If you started over, what set-top box would you get now?

Chromecasts with Google TV 4K is a wonderful streaming device and runs Channels DVR well. I tried the Fire Stick side by side and returned the Fire Stick as Amazon has limited too many things and pushes you to there services.

Apple products make a huge sucking sound. I will not be sucked in.

1 Like

I hate to be "that guy" but if you've never tried an AppleTV, then you just don't know. I have pretty much every streaming box out there, and trust me, the AppleTV is in the top 3. Especially for use with CHANNELS DVR

IYKYK

2 Likes

I'm trying to understand from the core operation of a DVR client, what is so much better about the AppleTV devices than, say, the Firestick 4k Max - specifically, what is actually better? No advertising, I got that, but once you enter the Channels DVR software there is no more advertising on the Firestick.

1 Like

One thing I hate is the AppleTV guide ... The Android guide makes better use of the real-estate ... The side bar on the AppleTV just takes up unnecessary space ... I prefer the drop down on the Android guide. I Have an AppleTV but prefer the Fire TV.

I do not get that either as I like to be presented with movies or new shows just added on my streaming services.

This is definitely true.

However, I mitigate this by setting the Guide always display all channels, use the On Now page for different categories/channel collections, and set the Quick Guide to Favorites.

This way you get the best of all worlds.

(Now if only they would fix the poster cropping issue in the On Now page for non-Movie tabs on AppleTV and I'll be satisfied.)

Its just very smooth. It boots crazy fast and and responds just as well. Has built in gig Ethernet so plays well with my network.

Also, other apps besides Channels, if they are available on the app store are typically faster and more stable than comparable android/fire versions. And a lot of apps are not available on Android TV- (yes , many ARE on the Amazon store though.)

I get there are lots of apps NOT available in the app store, but most of those are "grey area" or something i literally have no need for.

I have the Firestick Max, and while its a great streamer its just not as fast (in my experience) as my AppleTV or my Shield and needs OTG to have hardwire. I know I know, some people say wifi is fine, but i prefer everything on a cable whenever possible. That being said, I use my Shield just as much as my AppleTV's and its a fantastic box as well.

It's of course all personal preference, but I have found, most of the time when people actually give the ATV a chance, they end up using as their primary device. Because its a great product.

1 Like

OH- and if you hate it, return it LOL

I used Apple TV at work. They will not find there way into my home as I do not enjoy having Apple tell me what products I need to use. Furthermore, I can't see paying what they want.

For what I do on Channels my needs are more than met.

2 Likes

Fair enough. That's what makes choices great :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Appletv like you said is OK for Channels DVR ... but Channels DVR is just a small piece of my viewing habits, so I find the FireTV interface more informative.

EX. I can see what is Live on OTA , Plex and others at 1 glance.

1 Like

Ok cool. If that works for you than that's awesome.

1 Like

Amazon wants to sell ads to you, Apple wants to sell hardware to you. (You are Amazon's product, the Apple TV is Apple's product.)

TL;DR: You cannot compare lower-end loss-leading devices to high-end devices.

While I can understand this sentiment—especially for a streaming device—the argument does not actually hold water.

If you price out Apple products against similarly specced non-Apple products, you will find that their prices are actually consistently inline with the market. Back when Apple was making Intel laptops/desktops, similarly specced hardware from Sony, HP, and Dell were all within sight of one another. (Actually, only Sony was, because HP and Dell did not have consumer models whose specs matched those from Apple, only Sony.)

Extended to streaming devices, the only product that matches the Apple TV spec-wise for a nearly 1:1 comparison is the Nvidia Shield, which is pretty darn close price-wise.

The difference between Apple and its competitors has nothing to do with price, only with ecosystem. Apple does not compete in the low-end hardware market, so you cannot use that market as a comparison. You cannot compare rutabagas to apples when one of them isn't even a vegetable.

Alright, for specifics we have the AppleTV device doesn't advertise to you when you boot it up, it boots up real fast, and it's as smooth as the 4k max, maybe even a bit smoother. Obviously if you're already an Apple user, you have the apps on the app store, so that's good.

Is that it?

1 Like

I use a shield as my server and it is rock solid. What minimum ATV would be a good client? I use firestick 4ks now. They work fine but I want to check out an apple tv for comparison.

And Apple is cheaper now. An A15 and all that storage runs circles around what’s inside a $180 Shield.

1 Like

I’m glad I went in on appletv and went with Channels. I too have Channels and Plex running side by side. I have Plex monitoring my Channels TV folder and I give out plex to my family for them to watch whatever they want which includes the recorded content from Channels.

ATV is definitely the best device I’ve used.

The Apple TV costs 3 time what many Android TV devices do. One get the same smooth 4K video, high end sound, and the channels client works and is stable.

If you want to drive a sports car and have the same speed limit as a compact car, so be it.

Yes, as does a nice Mercedes S Class compared to a Honda Civic.

The difference is not only about being able to do the same things. It is also about doing those things better.

The UX of Apple devices is far superior to their Android counterparts. The overall interface is smoother, and most developers ensure their Apple clients have a first-rate UX compared to their Android counterparts (if they even have one). The Android HIG/UX promotes cluttered confusing design pushing options to the forefront, whereas the Apple HIG/UX promotes a content-first model.

I get it: you want cheap and functional. If that's the case, Apple products are not for you.

But if you want the best streamer with an emphasis on ability and UX, then you will be hard pressed to find a better candidate than an Apple device.

(Remember, the lower cost of hardware for most Android devices is subsidized by ad sales and viewer metrics. I don't know what cost you associate with your personal data, but mine is higher than $100. I value the personal data of myself and my family.)

The overall—and developer—consensus: if you want the best Channels experience, grab an Apple TV (basically any current Apple TV). If you don't care about ads being constantly shoved down your eye sockets, most any Android/Amazon device will suffice (but just merely suffice).

In any case, I've had my say. I have nothing additional to contribute to this thread, so I'm setting it to mute.

1 Like

Why are Apple Guys always trying to shove apples down our throats,,, choking.

2 Likes