If you started over, what set-top box would you get now?

Currently running Plex through a bunch of Roku boxes at home, but really looking to make the jump over to Channels DVR. Little bit of searching has shown me that the Roku boxes are likely going to need to get retired. Just asking all you out there with the experience, if you were starting over from scratch today, what set-top/streaming boxes would you get for your TV's and Channels DVR setup?

2 Likes

Your correct that Roku doesn't work with Channels DVR. I have had Amazon sticks, Nvidia Shield, and Apple TVs. I liked the Nvidia Shield over the Roku when I tried it out. However with all the issues with the 9.0 release they had, made it to where I hated it. I then decided to try Apple TV. Totally fell in love with it. Don't have all the garbage advertisement. Just an easier interface to use. So for me it is Apple TV. The nice thing is the newest ones are a little cheaper. But if you do get the Apple TV. Just get the more expensive one that has more storage and a network port. I think its a $20 dollar difference.

5 Likes

If you’re serious about an investment in Channels, Apple TV is the box you want.

3 Likes

Apple TV all the way. I have been through Fire TVs, Firesticks and only used Shield TV devices for about 2 years.

I just purchased 2 Apple TV devices about 6 months ago and that is all I use now.

1 Like

I am a die hard Android phone guy with 3 AppleTV's in my house. Simply the best hands down.... I have a shield tube in the box (haven't thrown it away because it is expensive, my firesticks however went to the city dump)

2 Likes

Channels develops first for Apple and then ports to Android. I despise Apple products, so I'm always behind the curve, but so be it. This is totally personal opinion for everyone.

However, I'm perfectly happy with my Chromecasts with Google TV 4K. If you want to just go super cheap, you can get an ONN streaming stick and get basically the same results. The TiVO Stream 4K+ has the best remote, but the interface has to be hacked to get rid of all the garbage bloatware and even then will fight against you.

If you are all-in, go high end. If you are testing the waters, go cheap; you can always upgrade later.

I started out with Shield TV and still would start over with it. Since then I have added FireTV devices.

Apple TV may be the very best for Channels, but it can get a little expensive. Most everyone recommends using the ethernet connection for the best experience. Then you may need to replace your router to support multiple Apple TV ethernet connections.

The less expensive devices have a major deficiency with storage memory. You are somewhat limited in the number of apps you can install and Channels utilizes extra storage memory for its pause function. But Channels does a very good job supporting Android and Amazon devices, and there are some work arounds for the limited storage memory.

I switched from Roku to Firestick TV 4k Max devices, before I even knew Channels existed. I am happy with them, but I sure wouldn't mind more internal storage memory. I have been tempted to switch to Apple TV, but still trying to avoid it since I don't own any other Apple products.

If you are using HDHomeRun tuners (or other physical tuners, such as Tablo or SAT>IP), the Ethernet is definitely recommended because of the bandwidth and latency concerns. If all of your sources are internet-based, then that is less of a need.

No need to replace the router. Adding a cheap $10-20 gigabit switch is all that is needed.

It is not only the memory, but the hardware itself. They often have under-powered processors which can lead to slow performance and a poor experience. They also tend to not support higher-end features, such as better audio and video.

This is definitely true. However, if you're going to start on the cheap end, just start with one device. I took the cheap route, and have spent more money upgrading/replacing the cheap devices at each TV than if I had just gone with an Apple TV in the first place. Those devices are cheap because they are loss-leaders used to sell the manufacturers services, not to give you a good media experience.

1 Like

JUST an FYI
The Fire TV 4K//Max/Cubes devices can Play all VIDEO and Audio including Dolby Vision and Atmos.

The FireTV 4K at $27 is a good starting point.

$144 for the new ATV and no ads/bloatware/amazon crap
$139 for the firetv cube with bloated interface and constant ads and other crap
best $5 you will spend in your life :slight_smile:

The $27 entrypoint for the firesticks is attractive but the $117 price difference is more than worth it for having a totally clean TV interface and not having to be marketed to while I am watching TV.

2 Likes

Great info everyone, thanks a ton! So, follow-up question. Assuming I'm going to go down this rabbit hole and I'm already setup/invested in Roku's/Plex, I'm probably looking at a decent out of pocket (3-4 Apple TV boxes plus a new monthly/annual sub (I've already got a Plex life pass). I'm not adverse to it, just trying to justify the cost in my head. What's the real benefit of going with Channels and ATV's over my current setup?

1 Like

That is why I recommend a $27 Dollar FireTV and a Channels DVR Trial to start. To see if it meets your needs. The FireTV 4K will run Plex Client if you decide to keep it and Channels DVR does not meet your needs.

1 Like

I too would suggest Apple TV. Never have issues with them, I have 3 4k refurbished ATV's from eBay. I have had good luck with all of them at a fraction of the retail price.

The first benefit is that I can record to my local computer cable shows that are broadcast over TV Everywhere. We like many of the Veterinary shows on Nat Geo Wild. I don't think Plex can record cable channels. Also recorded shows don't expire (9 months YouTube TV) or get deleted like cloud DVR options do.

The second benefit I see is that the guide can combine my HDHR local channels along with the TV Everywhere channels and the Virtual channels I've created into one list of what's playing now. Then I can Favorite the channels that I want on each TV.

For example, in the playroom, I only have channels with kids related channels favorited.

I have created virtual channels for many of the series we like. IE: I have virtual channels for:
The Big Bang Theory
Star Trek movies
Harry Potter movies

I also have a Plex Lifetime pass, but I use Channels for watching all of my media. I still use Plex to share our media with our grown up kids. I just point Plex at the folder where Channels records shows to along with where my main media is stored.

1 Like

Could always just buy an Apple TV and see how you like it over the Roku as well. It will run the Plex app as well. I run Channels and Plex on my Proxmox server and have access to both on my Apple TV. Then get your Channels DVR going. If you don't like any of it. Return it all and cancel the subscription :wink:

You are the king of the HLS option, I cannot believe you are not promoting it!

Basically, instead of the buffer building on your streaming device, it builds on the server. It is so great!

The answer is: ALMOST EVERYTHING! Just do a search through any of the features on half the threads on here. You could even search for the word "Plex" and you'll find a plethora (this is coming from a Lifetime Plex Pass holder). Everyone has their own unique "killer feature" that other people cannot even see a use for. We argue with each other all the time whose feature is more useful!

Listen, you can use Channels free for 30 days. Get 1 cheap ONN or FireTV stick and use it to test Channels free for 30 days. On day 3 you will realize it is the near perfect solution, go out and buy Apple TVs or Shields or whatever for your other TVs, and sign up for the the annual option.

3 Likes

:purple_heart:

We, (the devs), actually talk about this a lot! So many of the features seem so silly to some people while others love them so much.

It's super fun to build out things like that, where in other organizations, they'd never see the light of day unless they expected their customers to have a 90% buy in on them. It's why modern software by the big tech companies always feel so dull :frowning:

11 Likes

Heh, you all are great salesfolks. Got a month sub for Channels DVR and a ATV 4K on the way that should be here Friday. I've got all my media setup for Plex on a NAS (including the DVR/recording folder). I assume I can just point the Channels DVR at the same folders without any issues on either side?

Here is a guide

1 Like