Image quality on new Apple TV 4K

I'm reporting the same here. Using experimental deinterlacer and default video driver. It's like there's a stutter once every 30 seconds. If I use the experimental video driver it is significantly worse.

Used both experimental drivers last night and the picture was fantastic. BUT turned on the tv this morning and everything looked like it was in 24fps.

Changing channels did not clear the issue. I went into advanced playback and toggled the experimental options off and then on and now the video is smooth and sharp.

It’s a bandaid but not a cure as it comes back. Clearly some process in the video driver gets hung in a funky mode.

Nearly all movies and prime time tv shows are shot in 24fps. If you live in the United States, this gets broadcast on TV using 3/2 pulldown.

Absolutely not true. I am a tv engineer for a major us tv network. All shows are shot in 1080p or 720p at 59.94 FPS. 1080p shows are sent as 1080i on most stations at this point but still at 59.94. There is no pull down.

Movies are another matter. But I am talking about live tv being brought in OTA.

It depends on the cameras used. And it is kind of a director's choice and not the same for every TV show. But many prime time shows are shot on film, using movie cameras, and resulting in 24fps original video.

I'm not sure what the process is for getting a 24fps original to 1080i/p or 720p. I always thought it was a pulldown to get more frames out of the 24fps.

Again, we are talking about live TV, not prerecorded sitcoms or movies. Live news or sports or any other live TV except for maybe some show that wants to create a "look" is shot at 59.94, never 24.

Shows shot on film, or passed thru conversions to create the 24fps look are not what we are talking about here.

This is a driver issue where live TV at 59.94 suddenly starts to look like 24 and the issue goes away by cycling the driver setting.

1 Like

yeah. I was talking about pre-recorded (but new OTA broadcasts), not sports or news.

Anyway, does it go away if you turn off tuner sharing? Then it would be HDHR straight to TV so could determine if it is either the app/tvOS or the DVR causing the issue.

Tuner sharing is not on. Never has been.

@tmm1 what do u want from us to troubleshoot? I'm happy to recreate and send atv logs if that works.

1 Like

I’m a bit disappointed by the deinterlacing performance on the new Apple TV 4K - it looks OK on 1080i, but I can see noticeable icon/text flickering when watching SD content that doesn’t appear on my Chromecast with Google TV. Using the experimental deinterlacer helps, but is still inferior to the output from the Chromecast.

Also, I’m noticing intermittent judder on the new Apple TV 4K on TVE channels (most noticeable on sports), and I can usually get it to disappear by going back to the guide and reopening the channel. It seems to happen on both experimental and linear deinterlacing settings (using the default video driver) - toggling it sometimes makes it go away, but that may just be reopening the channel.

Especially with the recommendation to use the experimental deinterlacer for ATV4K, combined with everyone flipping between Default/experimental on others - now seems as good a time as any to bring my enhancement request up again.

If anything, it would be helpful if we could all get some guidance from the devs on what we should be using with the newest ATV 4K for now, so we can troubleshoot more effectively.

For reference, I use Experimental audio/video/deinterlacer on all my devices.

Please try v6.16.2314 from TestFlight which includes improvements to the Experimental video driver that should fix the judder and framedropping issues noted above.

ok I joined the beta and testing it now.

1 Like

I tested watching NHL Hockey on NBC Sports and the issue was still present. I let it run for about 2 minutes and then submitted diagnostics.

Does it happen with recordings too?

Video stable so far but the experimental audio driver was having micro audio drops. Had to go back to default audio.

I set the game to record and checked it after a few minutes, it seemed fine. It also seemed to smooth out and play fine while recording and watching live. I canceled the recording, changed stations, then changed back to hockey and saw the same stuttering again. It eventually smoothed out.

If I turn off just the experimental 4K, it seems fine. All other experimental settings seem fine.

What if you turn off audio and leave video on?

Well I spoke too soon. Using the experimental video driver the 24fps look returns after awhile. Seems like it’s most easily triggered when a station goes to a commercial break, and I am talking about an OTA station coming in off my hdhomerun tuner. But it happens on tve streams too.

Experimental video driver off and experimental audio driver on gives me stable video and audio.

Video driver in experimental mode can’t seem to decide how to process video and changes from smooth to stutter every few minutes.

1 Like