Imports?

Thanks. But a Server Side Setting would be best. I have 8+ Apple TV Clients and a 1/2 dozen iPads and a few iPhones. So server side setting would be much better for me to control.

I agree the server side setting should be a default for every client/every setting if you're running Channels Plus. And a sync option on each client to sync same from the server. I understand the use case for a client to use a different setting, but the default should be sync to the server (Channels Plus).

Yeah, server-side would be best. I have several ATV's and phones.

Please never allow deleting of imported media, as only the media metadata is scaped and imported. Channels Plus didn't record it, so it should never be allowed to delete original media which was created outside of Channels Plus. If this happened I would most likely cancel my subscription after warning others.

If we want to move/rename/delete media created outside of Channels, we have a way to do that.

My imported movie media was created before I started using Channels Plus, and although Channels Plus is my go to source for Live TV and recordings from HDHR tuners and TVE, it is not yet my media manager as it's not even in Beta state yet. I would recommend anyone using it create a test directory somewhere and copy some of your movies there for testing, don't rely on it preserving your existing movies directory.

1 Like

I agree with your concerns but not your action. This is/will be a feature which no one is has to use. I would simply not use it if my grandkids have the same rights as me and could delete content.

I am a fan of Plex for this type of media that I keep indefinitely. Even Plex allows deletion of content BUT they also have the OWNER and Managed Users and Friends all with rights. I also have Emby which only has Users with rights.

I would be very conservative if you did not have Users with rights.

Example from Plex: Server Side Setting

Allow media deletion
The owner of the server will be allowed to delete media files from disk. Yes or No.

In this case only the owner has the option.

I have a handful of movies recorded on the DVR
I have over a thousand movies/shows files on my NAS

At this time, there is no separation of categories on the Apple TV - they are all in one group/list - so it's tough to find DVR items.

Can I suggest a way to have these differentiated?
example - DVR MOVIES and LOCAL MOVIES

Since they are all in the same place, it makes it tough to locate something recently recorded on the DVR - (again, I am referring to the Apple TV set up)

Also, because of this I have tried to remove the "local content" files and no matter what I do, they are still there.

I have:
-removed them from the web based folders, and hit "Scan Source" and "Prune Deleted"
-restarted Apple TV multiple times
-restarted Nvidia Shield multiple times

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

As long as your movie source directory contains movies, Channels will continually scan the directory structure, I think every 5 minutes looking for any movies.

Simplest way is to add another Movie Source in the DVR web UI that points to an empty directory (or one with no movies in it), then delete the source that points to your current movie directory.

so basically :
1-redirect to new folder
2-rescan
-and it will stop trying to look at the prior folder/s?

I'll try when I get home.

Thanks.

Worked for me.
When you delete the source pointing to your movies directory it asks you
Are you sure you want to remove all movies imported from "/pathtomovies"?

Odd. Not working for me.

No matter what I do, all files are still there.

I can’t remove them.

Did you add a new source pointing to an empty directory that's outside the path of your movies and delete the old one?
When you state the files are still there, where are you seeing them?
They should be removed from the DVR web UI, not sure about client apps though as I rarely use a client other than a browser.
Also, which Channels DVR version are you running?
I'm on the latest public release v2019.11.19.2312

Have you restarted the DVR server since removing the source? I find that Channels often fails to propagate changes made to sources (such as lineups, modifying disabled channels, etc.) until being forced to re-read its configuration.

It sounds clichĂŠ, but the old maxim of "Have you tried turning it off and back on?" still holds true for many ills with technology.

I’ve done everything suggested.

Only thing I haven’t done is to restart the router.

Restarted Apple TV
Restarted Nvidia Shield
Chose new empty folder
Deleted old folders
Unplugged NAS

The “pruning files” has been running for hours.

Just no luck with this.

When you state the files are still there, where are you seeing them? web UI or which client app?

They should be removed from the DVR web UI, are they?

You need to make sure they're gone from the Channels DVR web UI on the server you're running it on before doing things from the clients that get their info from the Channels DVR server you're using.

Also, which Channels DVR version are you running? I'm on the latest public release v2019.11.19.2312

Can you screenshot the import settings and email [email protected]

You may need to add the path, wait for scan to complete, then delete it.

It worked the morning.
Restarting the Shield again did it.

Thanks for the help.

Idk if this has been answered yet, but has anyone else had the issue of importing a library & it duplicating every movie? Every movie in my library has a blank file that is uploaded with it. I have no way of deleting them because they aren't in my library to delete. The actual movie imports & works fine, but I just have a bunch of poster less tiles in my movies catalog. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just a bug?

Not seeing that.
What client and version are you seeing that in and where?
What version of Channels DVR are you running on your server?

What does that mean?

Please post a screenshot of the issue as well as what files are in the directory you imported

Now that this feature is in the main release, might it be time to start a new thread titled "Local Content"? Or am I just not finding it? I slogged through a couple pages of posts on alpha and beta issues here before jumping to the bottom.

Apologies if the answers to my questions are somewhere in-between those two points.

• Any further guidelines on naming files when we know the content is not in the film database?

• In example above, does it matter if I create an /Imports folder inside or outside /DVR?

• Can Channels make use of .srt subtitle files and .jpg poster files? See the example below.

hanzi%20files