Improve channel switching time on DS920+

This image is just watching a TVE channel remotely.

Capture

This is not an issue that I experience, because I am not using TVE (no cable or internet-cable-equivalent subscriptions). But you guys are all missing the point displaying resource monitor and talking about drives.
OP is saying this:

1. tune from HDHR = fast
  2. tune from Pluto M3U = fast
  3. tune from Stirr M3u = fast
  4. tune from TVE = takes a few seconds

The reason is because more backend things need to happen to tune TVE. It could be an issue with the account OP is using. Can it be sped up further, I don't know...

Responding to @jmphelan CPU usage nothing else.

Have you got your HW decoding setup correctly in your docker config? My CPU doesn’t go above 20%

My docker-compose.yaml looks like this - note the devices section.

version: '3'
services:
  channels-dvr:
    image: fancybits/channels-dvr:latest
    container_name: channels-dvr
    network_mode: host
    privileged: true
    ports:
       - "8089:8089"
    restart: on-failure:10
    environment:
      - TZ=Australia/Sydney
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/channels-dvr/config:/channels-dvr
      - /volume1/docker/channels-dvr/recordings:/shares/DVR

I can't find that file on my NAS

During prime day I ordered an NVIDIA Shield and finally got it installed along with Channels DVR. My DVR playback response times are barely noticeable. So this really confuses the situation. The Firestick 4K is connected by a 5G WIFI on an ASUS router, Channels client implementation on Fire TV, D920i NAS and the Shield is connected by a gigabyte ether-net line. Also the NAS is reporting a reasonable bit transfer level (KB range instead of MB and way beyond what a 5 Mhz can transfer). Not sure I want to jump in the middle of all the vendors.

A docker-compose.yaml file is something you'd create if you setup your docker using docker-compose rather than going through the docker UI.

So for me on my Synology, I created a folder:

/volume1/docker/channels-dvr
I created a file called docker-compose.yaml in that folder with the code from above comment in it
I then SSH'd into the NAS, changed directory to /volume1/docker/channels-dvr and ran:

sudo docker-compose pull
then
sudo docker-compose up --detach

This then started up Channels in docker using the settings in the docker-compose.yaml file. It will show and can be started/stopped/restarted via the UI like any other Docker you have.

If you want to make a change, you adjust the yaml file and run the above commands again.

Note: This docker-compose.yaml has the HW transcoding device exposed so HW transcoding will work.

Regards,
Shane.

1 Like

shanelord: Thanks for the info.