Integration with the new Google Chromecast w/Google TV

I am really enjoying the experience of using the new Google Chromecast w/Google TV, especially how it gives show recommendations from other streaming apps based on your usage.

I am using Channels with this new Chromecast but it is just a stand alone app. Do you all have any plans to integrate it better, say to allow Google to recommend currently live shows on Channels or recorded shows? It would be faster than going into the app, selecting on the side bar, and then clicking a show.

First world problem, for sure!

Things like currently airing programming is already exposed through Android APIs, as it currently shows on the regular Android TV home screen. It's up to Google to use that information in the Google TV interface, not Channels.

1 Like

Amazon doesn't, Apple doesn't, can't see it Happening for Google tv especially with YTTV still around

1 Like

How will this new chromecast compare performance wise against the Amazon Fire Stick HD?

I have both and they seem comparable.

See https://www.aftvnews.com/android-tv-benchmarks-compared-to-every-fire-tv-2020-chromecast-shield-tv-tivo-stream-4k-and-mii-box/

Elias is back​:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Does Channels expose the Live Guide data through the APIs, as well?

I am going to throw a feature request into the Google black hole for Channels integration. :wink:

I do not believe so. Otherwise Channels could be used as a source for Live Channels, but it's not.

Although to be honest, I haven't really checked to see if Channels implements the TIF for Android TV.