Interesting MiniPC with Linux

You can do all of this without any problems. It will work better than you expect. Instead of enabling remote on the new server, just enable Tailscale on it. Set it up like a normal dvr with the hdhr. Now you can use custom channel source in your home server and import the m3u playlist from the remote server via Tailscale ip. This will allow you to watch, record, and integrate the remote hdhr channels right in your guide. No need to fiddle with changing servers to watch/record remote hdhr. The remote server relatives can record and they can only see their recordings and you will only see your recordings from your server. Basically two stand alone dvrs that share a single hdhr source.

When setting up I would also add Tailscale to the machine for remote access for administrative and maintenance, in addition to enabling Tailscale within the channel’s settings. Basically you will have two Tailscale ip’s. One for channels and the other for ssh like Termius app and VNC viewer app for remote screen viewing if you go with a desktop Ubuntu version.

Well this is very helpful and hopeful. Thank you for your insight.
I guess i made a mind exercise that was more complicated than it needed to be.

I was planning on installing tailscale on both the channels server via the integration, and another tailscale ip on the bare machine just as you pointed out for remote access.

So i need to install:

Clean Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS desktop
Chromium browser
Curl
Some kind of vnc server (any ideas)
Channels dvr
Tailscale

I already have a vnc client on my ipad and iphone for admin access remotely

Anything else?

Once again thank you for making this a little less complicated than it needs to be. Excited to try this out.

Ubuntu desktop has it built in. Once you enable Tailscale on iPhone just use your current vnc app

Also you really wont need vnc much at all. Settings for the remote dvr server can be accessed via browser and Tailscale ip address. Just save a bookmark to your iPad/iPhone home screen next to your Tailscale app icon.

For running updates and maintenance on the Ubuntu machine it’s easier to use cli and ssh with an app like Termius. Vnc is nice to have and worth setting up but as you gain more experience with Linux you will likely use cli and ssh more and more.

Anyone out there run into this “bug/feature”
Its the only hitch ive run into so far. Ive got a clean os installed, tailscale up and running, vnc and ssh working.
Nice little machine. Tomorrow ill install channels dvr on it.

In the meantime if anyone has a better workaround for this keyring issue id love to hear it.

My current workaround:
Ive had to use a blank password for the default keyring to get around this. However this leaves all other passwords stored in the keyring unencrypted..

Not an ideal solution

Here is how I have it set up on all my Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 machines to "fix" the changing RDP password problem when running headless.

• Use the "Passwords and keys" app to create a new unprotected Password keyring called 'RDP keyring' with a blank password.

• Unlock the 'Default keyring' and copy the 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry from the 'Default keyring' to the new 'RDP keyring'.

• Delete the 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry from the 'Default keyring'. Now set a password for the 'Default keyring' to protect it and make sure it is still set as the default.

Well i got most of this working. @Rice Thank you for your suggestion regarding using 2 tailscale dvr integrations.

I can see the second dvrs m3u feed, and play the programs from the first dvrs guide.

However, the guide data isnt transfering through the custom channel. im only seeing the “placeholders” for each of the channels

Im probably doing something silly. Have you seen this on your setup?

@tmm1 If i go each dvr server individually by using the newly improved switching mechanism, each dvr has the appropriate guide data.

Thank you for this. I decided to add a spare 2.5” SSD internal. What the heck.
Now the dvr has plenty of storage.
Works like a champ, and very easy installation.

Happy you warned about the tiny wires connected to the top of the case. lol

Other than that the built in slot on the top cover for the ssd was slick.

Under your custom channel, xmltv guide data your url should be

http://100.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=604800
1 Like

In your deleted post I noticed you are using mpeg TS. You should probably be using HLS unless both your internet connections are fiber with low latency. TS will tune faster but doesn’t play well with latency over the internet. Change stream format to HLS and url to:

http://100.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?codec=copy
1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I know this is a silly question, Im new to Ubuntu. I set up a new keyring for rdp as you suggested. How the heck do you copy the GNOME credentials from the default over to the new keyring? I tried dragging and dropping, right clicking got a menu to “copy secret”, but there was no way to paste it into the new keyring.

Thanks for the guidence

Sorry, my bad. Went back to my notes to get the right answer.

Since you already enabled Sharing, go back to settings and turn Sharing completely off.
Now launch the "Passwords and keys" app.

• Use the "Passwords and keys" app to create a new unprotected Password keyring called 'RDP keyring' with a blank password. Set this keyring as DEFAULT.

• Unlock the 'Default keyring' and DELETE the 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry from the 'Default keyring'

• Go back to settings, turn on and set up Sharing again. This will put a new 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry into the 'RDP keyring'.

• Use the "Passwords and keys" app to set a password for the 'Default keyring' and set this keyring as DEFAULT.

That should do it.

1 Like

One thing to be conscious of. Depending on how you have the system set up, when you run headless that SSD internal HDD you installed may not automatically mount when you reboot as headless. If that happens, you won't be able to play recordings until the drive is mounted.

If this happens to you, just open an RDP session after a reboot and access the drive with the file explorer. That will mount it.

1 Like

Wow thank you for pointing this one out! I couldnt resist, and just unpacked the pc from my suitcase before traveling to test this before flying to the new location.

Sure enough the drive didnt mount when running headless. Couldnt play a test recording from last night, even though it was in the channels library.

I verified your workaround works via vnc gui interface as well, and mounted it that way.

It looks like the drive does have a mount point and auto mount is checked off in the disk utility. So something about running headless in my configuration doesnt mount the drive when im using the dummy hdmi plug. Hmmm. I have to look into this.

In the meantime a heartfelt thanks! You saved me a ton of grief pointing this out man. Two very big thumbs up!

Thanks for this. Made the change.

Hmm. Thats what i was using. I tried this with and without the 8089 port.

I tried reindexing the guide on the main dvr to no aval. For now im treating the two dvrs as separate entities where the guides ARE working. Using the new feature in beta that remembers the multiple at home ip addresses and just switching servers.

Eventually id like to figure this one out. Your solution is slicker…

You have to tell the server to automount the drive see below ...

Mounting An External Drive On Ubuntu Server – Ken Favors . com

Would this work for an internal drive?
This is a second internal drive connected on the sata cable inside the ATOPNUC.

Yes you have to do that even with 2nd Internal drive. you can do that also from webmin.

Edit fstab to Auto-Mount Secondary Hard Drives on Linux (maketecheasier.com)

1 Like

Since it’s just ota from hdhr, you could just delete the xmltv url then hit the gear next to the source then set/change provider and enter ota zip for those channels. I think that will work.

1 Like