Interesting MiniPC with Linux

Thank you for this. I decided to add a spare 2.5” SSD internal. What the heck.
Now the dvr has plenty of storage.
Works like a champ, and very easy installation.

Happy you warned about the tiny wires connected to the top of the case. lol

Other than that the built in slot on the top cover for the ssd was slick.

Under your custom channel, xmltv guide data your url should be

http://100.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=604800
1 Like

In your deleted post I noticed you are using mpeg TS. You should probably be using HLS unless both your internet connections are fiber with low latency. TS will tune faster but doesn’t play well with latency over the internet. Change stream format to HLS and url to:

http://100.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?codec=copy
1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I know this is a silly question, Im new to Ubuntu. I set up a new keyring for rdp as you suggested. How the heck do you copy the GNOME credentials from the default over to the new keyring? I tried dragging and dropping, right clicking got a menu to “copy secret”, but there was no way to paste it into the new keyring.

Thanks for the guidence

Sorry, my bad. Went back to my notes to get the right answer.

Since you already enabled Sharing, go back to settings and turn Sharing completely off.
Now launch the "Passwords and keys" app.

• Use the "Passwords and keys" app to create a new unprotected Password keyring called 'RDP keyring' with a blank password. Set this keyring as DEFAULT.

• Unlock the 'Default keyring' and DELETE the 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry from the 'Default keyring'

• Go back to settings, turn on and set up Sharing again. This will put a new 'GNOME Remote Desktop RDP credentials' entry into the 'RDP keyring'.

• Use the "Passwords and keys" app to set a password for the 'Default keyring' and set this keyring as DEFAULT.

That should do it.

1 Like

One thing to be conscious of. Depending on how you have the system set up, when you run headless that SSD internal HDD you installed may not automatically mount when you reboot as headless. If that happens, you won't be able to play recordings until the drive is mounted.

If this happens to you, just open an RDP session after a reboot and access the drive with the file explorer. That will mount it.

1 Like

Wow thank you for pointing this one out! I couldnt resist, and just unpacked the pc from my suitcase before traveling to test this before flying to the new location.

Sure enough the drive didnt mount when running headless. Couldnt play a test recording from last night, even though it was in the channels library.

I verified your workaround works via vnc gui interface as well, and mounted it that way.

It looks like the drive does have a mount point and auto mount is checked off in the disk utility. So something about running headless in my configuration doesnt mount the drive when im using the dummy hdmi plug. Hmmm. I have to look into this.

In the meantime a heartfelt thanks! You saved me a ton of grief pointing this out man. Two very big thumbs up!

Thanks for this. Made the change.

Hmm. Thats what i was using. I tried this with and without the 8089 port.

I tried reindexing the guide on the main dvr to no aval. For now im treating the two dvrs as separate entities where the guides ARE working. Using the new feature in beta that remembers the multiple at home ip addresses and just switching servers.

Eventually id like to figure this one out. Your solution is slicker…

You have to tell the server to automount the drive see below ...

Mounting An External Drive On Ubuntu Server – Ken Favors . com

Would this work for an internal drive?
This is a second internal drive connected on the sata cable inside the ATOPNUC.

Yes you have to do that even with 2nd Internal drive. you can do that also from webmin.

Edit fstab to Auto-Mount Secondary Hard Drives on Linux (maketecheasier.com)

1 Like

Since it’s just ota from hdhr, you could just delete the xmltv url then hit the gear next to the source then set/change provider and enter ota zip for those channels. I think that will work.

1 Like

I see you were given a hard time in one of the other sections of the forum. Ubuntu server is not for the faint at heart and unless you are running a professional server farm it's unnecessary. Ubuntu Desktop works just fine and is so much easier to administer with the GUI apps. I have a 64TB, 18 disk Media Server running 24x7 under Ubuntu Desktop.

Since you are running Ubuntu Desktop, there is a relatively easy way to auto-mount the partition on the new HDD.

• First open the Channels DVR web UI and go to the "Basic Setup" section. Uncheck the 'DVR' box which specifies the DVR database directory.

• Now open the Ubuntu 'Disks' utility.

• Select the new HDD from the list
    • Under the partition graphic, click on the star-shaped settings icon and select "Edit Mount Options...."
  • At the top of the dialog box click the button to switch off "User Session Defaults" so you can change the Mount Options.

• The top 2 boxes ('Mount at System Startup' and 'Show in User Interface') should be checked.
    • Go down to the line 'Mount Point' and specify a new mount point for the partition. You want the mount point in the /mnt directory and keep the name simple. In my case, I use the entry '/mnt/data' for my added HDD.
    • Leave everything else alone and click OK.
  • Reboot the OS and you will find the partition on the new HDD is mounted at startup in the directory /mnt/data/.

• Now re-open the Channels DVR web UI and go to the "Basic Setup" section.

• In the 'DVR' section browse for the DVR database directory which will start with /mnt/data/.
    • Save the entry, refresh the web page and you should be all set up. Upon a reboot, the DVR partition will mount automatically at the mount point /mnt/data and Channels DVR will be ready to go.
1 Like

I will try this out. You are an incredibly kind person and I have much gratitude.

I did go into the gui and saw that auto mount was enabled. That’s what confused me. I will look at the mount point name issue at some point. The pc is in a suitcase right now.

I’ve been using your workaround of manually mounting for now working great.

I’m very happy with the purchase decision.

Once again thanks for the insight.

Auto mounting will take care of mounting the disk when the ubuntu system first boots, but it will not remount the drive if it disconnects for some reason.

For that, use autofs. It will dynamically mount the drive anytime it is unmounted and an access request is made.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs

You're welcome. Let me know how you eventually make out with the tips I gave you regarding the RDP password problem and configuring for auto-mounting the HDD.

I'm very impressed with this little box and how stable and fast it is running Channels DVR Server. So much so that I've just ordered second one. It is a very inexpensive and compact solution to a problem I've had. For years I've wanted to isolate my financial and other sensitive transactions and data to a separate computer used only for those transactions and not for any general computing -- then turn it off when I was done transacting. This inexpensive little device running Ubuntu fits the bill perfectly.

Hi @kelson
Im now at the other location and have installed the box and now taking a look at this.

It appears that there was already a mount point there in the /mnt directory with the UUID of the disk. The mount at system startup was already checked. Im guessing a table entry in the fstab file might have been created at some point, possibly when i booted the machine without the hdmi dongle and with a monitor.

But if there is an existing entry, and auto mount enabled shouldn’t that work already? Thats what was really confusing to me.

Are you saying just by entering a new name other than the uuid in the /mnt directory creates a rewrite to the fstab file, fixing a bad entry that doesnt work in headless mode?

Easy to fix this as you suggested, with an different name in the /mnt directory, but before i do this i wanted to understand more why headless is causing the existing mount point to be unusable. Its not very intuitive is it?

Cheers

If you are in the "Mount Options" dialog box, the top entry "Use Session Defaults" must be toggled off -- needs to be gray not red. If it is red, the entries in the rest of the boxes don't count; session defaults are used and the disk will not be auto-mounted.

Toggle "Use Session Defaults" off and leave it off. You can now edit the other boxes and when you close/save the box an entry is written to /etc/fstab. You have the option to create a new simple mount point for the disk. However, if the one currently displayed matches what appears in the Channels "Basic Setup - DVR" dialog box, you can leave it alone, close the box and everything should work including auto mounting the HDD -- as long as you left "Use Session Defaults" off when you closed the box.

All this has nothing to do with running headless. When I set up my Media Server I had to do this for all 18 of the data/parity drives so they would auto mount.

1 Like