International DVR

Bit of a shame really - such a good app.

Not sure if it helps, but this provider seem to have whats required for Australia and UK markets - no idea of cost though

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/content-syndication/

2 Likes

Big shame. Channels works great on AppleTV for live Australian TV. Having the DVR function would make it perfect.

Currently, I use Plex DVR for recording TV but the Plex DVR interface is not as slick as Channels and you cannot watch live TV through Plex. You also cannot access the Plex DVR functions to set up a recording through the AppleTV Plex app - you have to use the web app to setup a recording which is not ideal.

Where does Plex DVR get it’s Australian TV guide data? Gracenote? Can Channels use the same EPG data source as Plex DVR?

3 Likes

ok, thanks for the update and that make sense. You have a ready market internationally of people who would pay for the dvr function to work with DVB in channels app. I appreciate that it potentially wouldn’t have all the same functionality as the current US version but the ability to record and watch is all im really after in one app.

please reconsider DVB version of the DVR as an option!

2 Likes

I know you will already have looked at this, but what is the issue with Gracenote for UK at least? I get 2 weeks of Gracenote data with images, metadata etc. in the UK with EyeTV and the data quality is generally fine. As others have said, something would be far preferable to nothing for the DVR for international markets.

Another idea - what about a beta version for UK / other international markets where you can set recordings from within whatever guide data you have in that market in the live app (DVB, HDHR, Gracenote / whatever) and you use the channel logo images already used in the live app whenever there is nothing better in the guide data. Surely this should be do-able and could stay in beta until you get guide data ‘fully’ sorted? I would happily pay for DVR features (though perhaps a bit less if you’re not providing extra guide data yet) in beta on this basis.

2 Likes

Is there any update on this for UK users ? Is it not even possible to utilise the over-air Freeview guide data as a starting point?

We have launched Channels DVR in the UK: Channels DVR is now available in the UK

Australia and New Zealand are the next two biggest markets of Channels users. We are looking into what it will take to bring the DVR there. At the moment, the API we’re using for guide data does not offer any AUS/NZ data, so it’s not as easy as it was for the UK (which was already quite involved and time consuming).

Our guide provider plans to launch a new API later this year which will include AUS/NZ data, so we will revisit later this summer to see what’s possible.

7 Likes

what about getting Australian support via IceTV guide support?

1 Like

Thanks, I will check out IceTV. Do any Channels users in Australia already have an IceTV subscription?

3 Likes

Wish I could be on this but can’t afford a new NAS. Blew all my money on a new garden shed *sigh

As a NZer, this is great news. Our TiVo service is shutting down this year leaving a very large percentage of TV users with a heavy black brick in their TV cabinet.

If you haven’t already seen an influx of users, you will later in the year (October iirc when the service shuts down).

1 Like

The IceTV folks are very friendly and we had a good chat, but unfortunately they don’t have any 4x3 images available so that’s not going to work for us.

2 Likes

Thanks for trying with IceTV. Have you been able to reach out with http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/content-syndication/#tv ?
They claim to have images

1 Like

I don’t understand, I’m using Channels in Australia using the inbuilt Silicon Dust provided EPG that also has images available for many (but sadly not all) shows. Why can’t this be adopted?

I’ve been holding out for the DVR service here in Australia but it seems this may be dead in the water…shame as it would have been my preferred service given it would have integrated Live TV/timeshift and Tivo like recording all in one.

And with the Tivo service shutting down in the whole of Australian and New Zealand by October there would have been many thousands of users looking for a solution…I hope the Channels team finds a way as this is a big market to tap into if they can sort something out really soon…

1 Like

Unfortunately, this only provides 4 hours of guide data. We also don’t have a license to use any of their data in a competing DVR system.

1 Like

I currently use IceTV with my MCE boxes. I’m also a Channels subscriber. What does the 4x3 mean? Don’t you just need reliable guide data? Channel logo’s could be obtained easily enough.

Hi. I’m currently using EyeTV on a Mac with IceTV subscription down here in Australia, and I’m longing for a Channels DVR experience to replace it. Our two Apple TVs use Channels for live TV but scheduling and watching recordings is just a pain – have to jump onto the Mac to schedule anything, then wait for transcodes to iTunes afterwards, then play on Apple TV via Home Sharing…

If your hopes for the current guide provider’s expansion to Australia & NZ doesn’t pan out, I would very happily take a text-only DVR scheduler based on IceTV data. It would be such an improvement over the current state of affairs.

4 by 3 or 4:3 is an aspect ratio used by TV's and monitor's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Can one manually set the DVR to record instead of needing to use an EPG? (i.e. set a time and channel)? Can one do this today?

No, that is not possible

Thanks.