Interrupted recordings issue

What exactly does "Interrupted" mean? I'm not using Channels DVR [yet] to watch these Brewer games, so I can't verify if there is something missing, but it appears the recordings are 4 hours 31 minutes long, there is solid video at the beginning and the end, and it appears to have comskip'd the entire show properly when skipping through it.

Please advise.

It means the stream was interrupted one or more times and had to reconnect. Depending on how long the reconnect took it might have missing data or not.

The log shows when disconnects happen during recording, along with the error and duration until the reconnect.

If I send you the log would you please review it and let me know how many times the recording was interrupted and for what duration, and most importantly, why?

Sure. You can send diagnostics which uploads a portion of the recent logs. That may not be enough since some of the recordings are older but I will look.

Thanks. The last Brewer game was yesterday at 7pm, so I would imagine the diagnostics probably won't have what you need? What's the best way for me to select which logs to zip up and email to support? If I zip up the largest log file [from yesterday] it's about 77 megabytes.

Send the diagnostics first.

done

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

Yea I was able to get the information I need and am taking a look.

Just out of curiosity, have you folks ever considered notifying the developers when something is going wrong? That way maybe you could come up with a fix and I don't even have to be involved.

I have previously.

Channels DVR is definitely improving by trying to mitigate issues like this.
Used to be you wouldn't know a recording was interrupted, or worse it would flat fail.
They're doing a good job trying to splice the recording together around disconnects (interruptions) caused by the network you're recording, not caused by Channels DVR.

I had a 3 hour TVE movie a few days ago that showed interrupted.
Usually I just delete and reschedule it.
Decided to take a closer look and found it was missing a couple seconds.
Log showed it disconnected, then attempted reconnecting a couple times before it succeeded.
Log showed 4 seconds between disconnect and succesful reconnect.
Checking the comskip log and using my video editor I found the trouble spot and only a couple seconds were missing.
Channels DVR did a great job splicing it together.
I ended up keeping the recording.

P.S. It does annoy me knowing a recording was interrupted, but not knowing where in the recording or how much was interrupted. How do you know what you're missing if it's not there?

1 Like

Forget it. Don't bother looking at this.

1 Like